Microsoft Exchange Server and the Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carisnator, Feb 26, 2008.

1. carisnator macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I have a school email account to which the majority of my emails are directed. It is a Microsoft Exchange Server and I have the address however when I try and set it up on my touch with the password and such it does not work. I really want to get this work as it was help me immensly. Any suggests????

Thanks

Jake :apple:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your IT admin would need to enable POP or IMAP on the Exchange server, and have external internet accessible addresses for them...good luck with that!

3. carisnator thread starter macrumors newbie

i have been able to set up the account on outlook on my home pc which is why i was curious as to why it would not be working

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Outlook can communicate with Exchange, iPhone can only use POP or IMAP. Exchange is a totally different technology.

5. carisnator thread starter macrumors newbie

o ok, what is the purpose of the exchange option in account creation in the mail app then?

thanks for your help...

6. john316 macrumors member

Because you can connect if IMAP/POP is enabled as mentioned above. But by default, it isn't because its not needed for Outlook clients either via Outlook or Outlook Web Access. Unless your IT guys enable IMAP especially, you just won't get it working directly with your iPod.