Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
I have Vista 32-bit on my 2 x 2.0GHz Mac Pro, 3GB RAM, ATI X1900 XT. FSX has never performed well on my computer, so I haven't bothered using it. FS2004 on the other hand used to work great (compared to what I used to deal with), frame rates in the 20s, but since Windows tends to deteriorate inexplicably and irreversibly over time despite not having any spyware or viruses, my framerates at complex airports get down into the lower teens and even high single digits.

I don't know what sort of upgrade would make the biggest difference--buying the new 8800GT, changing Windows to 64-bit and/or getting even more RAM. To say the least it really bothers me how Windows just slows down over time like a train slowly derailing.

With regard to the X-Plane vs. FS discussion, I much prefer FS because of the airports with actual details (and other such more realistic elements) and much easier-to-use interface. However, I must say that X-Plane's physics are more realistic than those in FS.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I have Vista 32-bit on my 2 x 2.0GHz Mac Pro, 3GB RAM, ATI X1900 XT. FSX has never performed well on my computer, so I haven't bothered using it. FS2004 on the other hand used to work great (compared to what I used to deal with), frame rates in the 20s, but since Windows tends to deteriorate inexplicably and irreversibly over time despite not having any spyware or viruses, my framerates at complex airports get down into the lower teens and even high single digits.

I don't know what sort of upgrade would make the biggest difference--buying the new 8800GT, changing Windows to 64-bit and/or getting even more RAM. To say the least it really bothers me how Windows just slows down over time like a train slowly derailing.

You haven't had Vista long enough for it to slow down - without any appropriate maintenance on either OS, OS X will exhibit problems far sooner than Vista. Changed drivers? It is probably something else.

As I wrote before, FS X isn't highly multithreaded and isn't particularly SLI or Crossfire aware - so basically, it's a matter of single-CPU, single-GPU brute force. Something that isn't actually easily available on Macs unless you're going for the top of the tree, and even then there are compromises. The 8800GT will make a difference. If you're running in Boot Camp (i.e. dedicating 3Gb to Vista) then there are no more upgrades necessary / practically possible with 32-bit Vista. The GPU will improve things, but the best upgrade to run FS X properly is a proper PC (and not an AMD)

I've seen a lot of talk about X-Plane being more realistic in terms of physics which is true, but it's not strictly true in a real life flying sense. Both take compromises over 'real life' with X-Plane taking the more logically accurate route. The fact is though the physics in X-Plane aren't sufficiently detailed to exceed the different model used in FS X.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
You haven't had Vista long enough for it to slow down - without any appropriate maintenance on either OS, OS X will exhibit problems far sooner than Vista.

OS X doesn't show any noticeable slowdowns with age,
even with limited maintenance. I don't know where you
get these eccentric ideas from :)

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
For those using X-Plane (version 8 here, contemplating upgrade to version 9)... how do you usually let the sim run? Full screen or windowed? I have a 15" MBP and a 23" Cinema display. Obviously the 1024x768 panels look crappy on widescreen since the sides are cut off, and I'm disappointed by the sheer variance in quality in the included aircraft (some have 3d panels, some don't, some do but are really poor quality).

Also, does anyone know of any offline air traffic control simulation worthwhile for X-Plane?

If it had that and a product to populate my world with real-world liveries, I'd upgrade.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"But the question is, have you tried anything else but an underperforming AMD?"

Sesshi...

Most certainly...in fact, the 9600 Phenom is one of the speedier offerings from AMD in some time, but next to it, in the same room...I have a Core2 Duo Windows XP pro machine (about a year old)...the Phenom is about 4 weeks old and has the 8800GT...(The older, Pentium machine has the 7900GT, a solid DX9 card). I do agree...FSX is best run on brute single core power, but Multi-cores do help...as I have 2,4, and 8 core machines...(AMD 9600, Core2 Duo 2.4ghz, and the MacPro 8x3.0ghz...the RAM is 3 gigs, 2 gigs, and 10 gigs respectively...the OS'es are Vista Home Premium 64, XP Pro, and XP Pro respectively)

The 2 core machine runs fine at mid level graphic settings (12-15fps)
The Quad is a bit quicker (14-18fps)
The Mac...30-45fps in high rez areas, low and slow...all of these tested.

I have XPlane 9, this is my first foray into XPlane and it is going to take a lot of getting used to...it does seem physically, very realistic. As far as user friendly GUI...IMO, it is tough to navigate.

Everybody running FSX...make sure to download BOTH the SP1 and 2 patches in that order from MS website.

And I do agree...FS2004 is much easier to run...My Mac can exceed 100fps with 2004!:) Not that we can utilize any more than 60:)

That's another thing...with Flight Sim...it is very playable, considering all it is doing internally, at 10fps...it's not like film (24fps) or DVD (30fps) is necessary to play the game...to get the incredible scenery, there is a trade off...but the trade off is still playable...I hope everyone can get there's up and running...I am excited to get rolling with XPlane as well...but it may be a while...it's summertime in Alaska and I won't be inside on the computer much til Fall!

Good Luck!

Jeremy

BTW...I also have a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz with 4gigs of RAM (The 15 inch w/128mb 8600 GT card from Nvidia)....anyone tried playing either XPlane or FS2004(X) on a laptop like this?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
For those using X-Plane (version 8 here, contemplating upgrade to version 9)... how do you usually let the sim run? Full screen or windowed? I have a 15" MBP and a 23" Cinema display. Obviously the 1024x768 panels look crappy on widescreen since the sides are cut off, and I'm disappointed by the sheer variance in quality in the included aircraft (some have 3d panels, some don't, some do but are really poor quality).

Also, does anyone know of any offline air traffic control simulation worthwhile for X-Plane?

If it had that and a product to populate my world with real-world liveries, I'd upgrade.

I run full screen 1600x1200. As far as aircraft go there are some good ones out there. Have you been to Xplane.org
Don't know much about offline air traffic control

Loyalty4Life

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
Can someone tell me what the value is of using a 64 bit Vista OS on a Mac Pro compared with 32 bit with the purpose of using MS Flight Sim X? Thanks.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Just installed boot camp update on my macpro with XP and still have the stutters. I turned everything down to the same settings as my MBP and still the same. My MBP runs FSX great (by hot). Also on my Mac Pro sometimes when I go to the menus the whole thing locks up. I really don't want to wipe the disk and start over but I do not know what to do? I also think it is a waste to shell out $200 for Vista 64. I think I just may spend $90 on X-plane 9 since X-plane 8 runs great. Any ideas i hate giving up on software but it is windows.

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
I spent lots of time trying to get FSX running on my PC using Vista and XP. It never did run at an acceptable level so I dump Windoze and went to a MacPro and X-Plane 9. I am very happy with this combination.

As a real pilot I prefer the more realistic flight model offered in X-Plane 9.

For required Windows applications I use Fusion to keep all the viruses and bugs in a nice virtual box.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I am totally, entirely, 100% hooked on XPlane...My first two weeks of flying (after 20 years on MS Flight Sim) and I am a CONVERT! I love it. I have switched to the keyboard for control while I search for a yoke/rudder setup. I have always just used the Microsoft ThrustMaster (it's an older, non force feedback model) and it's a joke...I cannot get it calibrated correctly no matter what I try, so I am in the market for a new control system.>>

Due to space limitation on the desk...I cannot have a seperate throttle/yoke/rudder system...but I could do a seperate (Yoke/Throttle combo) with Rudder pedals:)

What are you "real pilots" enjoying for joystick control? (I am not trying to be sarcastic with the terms "real pilots, I am just intrigued that you find this program realistic).

Thanks for the recommendations from MR...I am a true CONVERT to XPlane!

Thanks....back to XPlane.org

Jeremy

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It is a little touchy but you get the hang of it real fast.

ChiaJesus

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
You should look at X-plane. It would save you having to restart your mac and run Windows. I haven't used either (I had Fly! for the Mac a few years ago, and ran Microsoft Flight Simulator on a //c, and I think I had a really old Mac version too, but nothing more recent) but it certainly sounds as though X-plan is as good or better than the Microsoft one.

Couldn't agree more. X-Plane under OS X is absolutely amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.