Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
So I am wondering whether to get a new 21.5" iMac. I already have a white macbook and would love a 21.5" iMac as my desktop computer so i can sell the macbook and get an iPad however i need a computer that can play Microsoft Flight Simulator X very well.

At the moment it is a toss up between a gaming PC or an iMac however if i got a gaming PC i could not sell my Macbook to buy an iPad.

I was wondering whether anyone on here is currently playing the game on bootcamp and what you thought about it and also if the graphics were any good because it is just about the most graphical and processor intense game there is out there.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it is a 27" iMac, a 24" iMac or any other mac you may be running it on.

Thanks in advance.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
I got the 21.5" with the HD4670 GPU and it plays FSX pretty well, the only time I've noticed it dropping frames is right after I load a very detailed add-on model (Panavia Tornado GR4)

Thats using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and FSX SP1 (with accelerator expansion)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have you considered switching to X-Plane 9? It works great on OS X and to mention is very very customizable.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
Thanks a lot millar876, have you got any videos anywhere that I can watch to see how it looks? And to Alphaod, no, I will not use x-plane. I absolutley hate the game, it's awful when compared to FSX

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks a lot millar876, have you got any videos anywhere that I can watch to see how it looks? And to Alphaod, no, I will not use x-plane. I absolutley hate the game, it's awful when compared to FSX
I can tell that you are not a pilot. X-Plane 9 is as close to actually flying as you can get. It is a very powerful program and very customizable, thus making it a little more difficult to use until you get used to it. The flying is so realistic. I use it to keep my pilot skills current when not able to get out to fly real airplanes. By the way, X-Plane is not a game, it is a Flight Simulator that works with Mac and Windows. Corporations use it to train pilots.

MS FSX is a game, but it is pretty good. There is not a Mac version.

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
maccompaq, i am actually a pilot so great start there ;)

In my opinion, FSX is just better, there is more addons for it and it is a lot easier to look at and its a lot easier on the eyes, that is why i prefer it over X-Plane.

Also, what you said about x-plane being used to train pilots, FSX is also used, possibly more so than x-plane, and x-plane is also a game, they both are.

And FYI - i know there isn't a mac version of FSX, otherwise this question would not have been asked.

Thanks to everyone else's help here though, anyone else want to share their experiences?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I can speak for the iMac but I know when I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit on my macpro it was like a upgrade to FSX. Everything works better and faster.:D

BTW I also prefer FSX over X-plane. I love the movements in the virtual cockpit.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It's funny how threads like this always turn into a pissing match about X-Plane and MSFS. And inevitably someone chimes in with their pilot's certificate as some kind of reason why their opinion matters more.

They're both games. They can be helpful to a private or instrument pilot to review or practice certain skills, but they're both still games. Pick the one that you have more fun playing - that's about all there is to it.

Personally I prefer X-Plane, but that's mainly because I have an easier time getting a consistent 60+ fps out of it on average hardware. MSFS is definitely prettier, and probably more 'fun' out of the box.

DianeL19

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
It's funny how threads like this always turn into a pissing match about X-Plane and MSFS. And inevitably someone chimes in with their pilot's certificate as some kind of reason why their opinion matters more.
Careful, you are showing your jealousy of those who have the money and skills to actually obtain a pilot license.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Careful, your immaturity is showing!

I don't see how these posts add to the discussions.
This is a good example of how people use worthless replies to pad their post count.
No one was even talking to you.

Careful, you are showing your jealousy of those who have the money and skills to actually obtain a pilot license.
In a thread about the performance of FSX on a mac?

Naturally a jeweler would want you to spend £3000.

I'll bet that the original poster asking the question is divorced by now, and the woman has the ring and he has the payments.
How nice.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

Ooooh...you got me there! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just to get this thread back on topic - what kinds of frame rates are people seeing out of FSX, and with what settings? I'm curious to see how it runs these days.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Sorry to keep this thread on track.
Ooooh...you got me there! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just to get this thread back on topic - what kinds of frame rates are people seeing out of FSX, and with what settings? I'm curious to see how it runs these days.

On my 2008 MacPro with windows7 x64 I lock my frame rate at 33 and it rarely drops below that. Most of my settings are high or ultra high. Very happy with the sim and the performance.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
On my 2008 MacPro with windows7 x64 I lock my frame rate at 33 and it rarely drops below that. Most of my settings are high or ultra high. Very happy with the sim and the performance.

Cool. Can the settings be lowered enough to get a consistent 60 fps out of it? That's the kind of thing that really helps the realism for me. Not that 33 is bad at all - just curious.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I sure it can, I prefer add-on scenery, traffic and eye candy, so that is why I stick to 33fps

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I just fly my plane on weekends.

The graphics are amazing.

Everywhere I go is an expansion pack. Who knew?!

Tremaine

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
I run FSX on my Dual Core 2.8 24" iMac with a nVidia 8800GTS and it runs great, so I'd imagine that running it on the latest iMac would be even better. I can maintain 20-30 FPS with most settings maxed and with multiple add ons, including additional AI aircraft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.