Microsoft Fonts on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TechieJustin, Jan 12, 2010.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I did a search and I found soem sort of compatibility pack by Microsoft for Office 2004 that includes fonts like Calibri.
    My problem is I don't use Office, I use NeoOffice.

I tried taking the Calibri font from my Windows 7 machine and dumping it into the fonts directory on the Macbook, but it doesn't look right.
    Is there a special font pack I should download?
    Here is what it looks like - Calibri on the left, Arial on the right.
    I could use Arial, but in my next class I'm going to do alot of group work, and if I work on a file in Calibiri, and send it to everyone else in Arial they might get annoyed. Or if the formatting is changed due to changing a font I'll look like a dope ruining everything with his Mac...

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! Just wow.
    • Both screenshots show a badly formatted spreadsheet. To my eyes, the second is less badly formatted than the first.
    • You cannot expect your formatting to be independent of the fonts. If you change the font, then you have to change the formatting.
    • You cannot expect your formatting to be preserved perfectly between Microsoft Office and NeoOffice.
    • There is absolutely positively zero (0) benefit to using a font like Calibri in your homework. Use Arial, Courier New, or Times New Roman, and don't worry about it.
    • Your spreadsheet is a jumbled mess. You need more white space. Use a font size that is no larger than 10 point—9 point, if it is readable—and widen your columns. There no reason to have more than one line of text in each cell. You should have blank rows between your explanations and your column labels and data.
    Long story short, you are putting your priorities in all the wrong places. It is much more important for your numbers to be correct and your spreadsheet to be readable than for it to be pretty—and it isn't pretty.

3. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

That wasn't the point.
    I was not trying to make it look pretty, it was for fast and dirty calculations for daily homework assignments.

So, I'll ask again - is there an easy way to get Microsoft fonts on the Mac? Forget about the spreadsheet and how it looks that is not the issue.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I will pretend that I believe this.

Windows TrueType fonts are fully-compatible with MacOS X. No special procedures are required to install them.

5. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

You can also pretend I got full credit for the assignment.
    Thanks, I think. :rolleyes:

I posted about an LCD inverter in another thread, maybe you can jump in there and question me on that as well.