Microsoft Fully Drops Support for Office for Mac 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2017.

1. pika2000 macrumors 68040

IMO people decided too quickly that they must have Office, even if it’s an old unsupported version.
    Personally, I think most people don’t actually need Office. There are universities and even businesses that switched to Google Suite, showing that MS Office is overkill for the common usage scenarios. I myself don’t remember the last time I have to use MS Office. Google’s suite and iWork seem to do the job more often than not. The only annoyance is when you have to deal with somebody that can only save files in docx format.

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

They're welcome to remain using an old version, they just need to realize that it won't be secured through new updates any longer. Again, that's not the fault of Microsoft but instead the business running the software and refusing to update to a newer version.

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Security issues is why loads of businesses are still stuck on 2003/2008 - Loads of Macros used for business critical stuff (Cognos etc) that hasn't been updated since 19-dickety-two - It becomes so much money to upgrade critical business platforms that they end up falling behind (And paying Microsoft an absolute bucketload in out-of-support support contracts...)

5. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I agree, I work at a MS shop and I wish we would move away from office, visual studio, etc. So many better alternatives to Skype for business including Slack, etc. I hate having all my eggs in one basket.

6. DataChris macrumors member

DataChris

I did the same (in 2015) Have been resisting mostly due to Outlook's lack of support for Email Color Category. 2.5 years people have been begging MS to bring this feature back but they haven't done it. Pretty much zero point to use it over Apple Mail without category color support. https://outlook.uservoice.com/forum...ack-the-option-of-coloring-column-view-text-b

7. Altis macrumors 68030

You can even use Microsoft's online version of Office (OneDrive).

I require locally-installed office suites, so LibreOffice is what I would use if I had the choice.

However, working with other people (at work or university) requires the guarantee that the files will open and function precisely how they should. Since MS Office is the standard and I end up using it to ensure compatibility with others.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    Indeed, they can't support products forever and I don't think most people reasonably expect them to.

As a side note, I will say that Microsoft tends to provide very long useful lifespans of software and compatibility. Each year, macOS "upgrades" cause all kinds of compatibility issues that require the software to be thoroughly updated.

Meanwhile, you can often run tons of old software in Windows from even the 90s. Computers from 2007 have Windows 10 installed with support into what, 2025? Windows 7 support until 2020.

8. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

Commenting and track changes do still import and export, they just work a bit differently in pages (not always displayed, and they sit to the left rather than the right. It does work well on importing, but exporting back to .docx can sometimes be a little unreliable.

Worth giving it a shot through.

That said, Pages and Keynote are ok (despite pages ditching canvas mode, vertical ruler and facing pages), but numbers is SEVERELY under-featured compared to Excel. If you're doing anything remotely complicated in excel, I would stick with it.

9. boppin macrumors regular

well, Office was supported nearly 7 years. How long do get support from Apple?

10. Gary Dee macrumors newbie

Gary Dee

I just installed the latest version of Office on High Sierra, and it is fully functional either. So, not much difference.

11. elgarak1 macrumors newbie

elgarak1

It's a bloody Office suite! It's malware cross section, even outdated, should be small. Office is crap, and that it has such a high malware target cross section is entry 5 on its "reasons of crappiness" list.

I'm not entirely sure if the Office 2016 even has a smaller target cross section than 2011.

My Mac is currently Microsoft-free. I may have to exchange .doc-files with others at some point, though (that's right. .doc. NOT .docx. Adoption in publishing of .docx is rather small). But there are good chances that I can do that with 3rd party software faster, easier, and safer, and avoid bloody Word altogether. (LibreOffice, Pages, Nisus Writer, export to .doc from others).

12. Ener Ji macrumors regular

Agree with the suggestions to use Google Docs. More than sufficient for most uses, and superior in some ways when it comes to collaboration.

13. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

I have this version but rarely use it these days. Pages, Numbers and Keynote are working quite well when I need to work on Office documents. Plus it seems like it beats the hard drive senseless when it loads up and takes forever to start.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

The case would be stronger if Microsoft actually updated the software more than once in 7 years.

15. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not a Microsoft fan but they still update their Office and other products regularly, even though they're 5+ years old. No new features but bug and security fixes.

16. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

True - my bigger point was really that they're dropping support for the second most major release not long after the most recent major release. That the previous one is 7 years old reflects in the infrequency of releases.

17. pika2000 macrumors 68040

It’s not like Microsoft want to, they have to. Their largest customer are enterprise who have much longer upgrade cycle, not consumer. Even in enterprise, Microsoft is pushing Office 365 hard so they can ditch their legacy products.

18. boppin macrumors regular

Microsoft has roadmaps, Apple has not.

19. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Yeah, Microsoft has roadmaps that Windows Phone is a total success. :rolleyes:
    Roadmaps don't translate to better. Longhorn, Vista, Windows Phone, etc.

Talking back to software support, Microsoft's main customer are enterprises. Apple's main customer are consumers. Those two market segments have different needs and thus different level of product supports.

20. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

I agree. For offline documents, there's always LibreOffice, which actually supports MS Office formats.

21. tebbe macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    Actually, MS supports Office for Windows for ten years. Mac users are getting cheated.

22. boppin macrumors regular

Perhaps this is because pf Apple "lifecycle" and that Mac users are using always the latest versions.

23. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Personally, very pleased with the support Microsoft has given the 2011 office suite especially outlook - it has worked great on 7 OS versions from snow leopard to High Sierra. I have 2 licensed copies on 3 macs working fine and good value for the price.
    Interestingly - since they have announced "discontinuing support for 2011" they have released 2 updates for 2011 now at 14.7.7 so maybe they will still offer some minor support and minor fixes

I use Outlook Excel Word everyday and they work perfectly - I know I will have to update to 2016 eventually but right now 2011 still works great!

24. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

Meh, skip it and go for Office 2021 at this point. You've gone this far...

On a more serious note, I started having a lot of problems with office lately. Between Apple and Microsoft updates, the quality has just totally declined. I decided to ditch it for the time being (with the expiation of Excel). Using native mail application and iWorks.

So far so good.

Microsoft is going to release a completely revamped office for Mac soon. It will look and feel a lot more like the native apps. We'll see what they cook up. Although knowing Microsoft, it will probably be the same code underneath with the same old problems and just a new facelift.

25. Clancy Redbeard macrumors newbie

Clancy Redbeard

If I keep Office for Mac 2011, am I in danger of having all my old word files - THOUSANDS of them! - becoming corrupt? Or not working for the next Mac update? What else could go wrong? Are there security issues?

I’ve been reading lots of people hate Office 2016. I mostly use Word for word processing - not much special formatting. I don't use the other programs. Thanks.