May 8, 2005
UK
Man thats soooooooooo not on, I hate windows even more! :mad: Damn you Gatesy

p.s. Check out the recycle bin, direct copy! WTF

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Is this for real?! You would have at least credited them with coming up a name for this 'new category of mini-application' that doesn't sound like 'Widget'...

Of course, it's only fair to point out that Konfabulator was keeping us informed via Widgets long before Tiger was announced, so Apple themselves aren't amiss when it comes to picking up ideas from elsewhere...

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Do you think Apple could get any loyalties, in a law suit. However Apple got it from Konfubulator.

One thing that will be known is that Apple will remain, having better implemented it.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Jaffa Cake said:
Is this for real?! You would have at least credited them with coming up a name for this 'new category of mini-application' that doesn't sound like 'Widget'...

Of course, it's only fair to point out that Konfabulator was keeping us informed via Widgets long before Tiger was announced, so Apple themselves aren't amiss when it comes to picking up ideas from elsewhere...
Konfab isn't the originator of this.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Thanks Blackheart ;) , but these wee kiddies wouldn't remember that.

Yes folks Kanfabulator is just an exploitation of what Apple had already developed long before Windows was ever born.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bern said:
Thanks Blackheart ;) , but these wee kiddies wouldn't remember that.

Yes folks Kanfabulator is just an exploitation of what Apple had already developed long before Windows was ever born.
^^But Apple would never have thought to implement it again if they didn't realize that what Konfabulator did was actually pretty cool. ;)

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Dear Microsoft,
Please stop being idiots.
I'll give you a piece of cake!

Oh, come on!

Also, rename your OS "OS X-tra crashes"
That would be cool.

Love,
Kt

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I believe before apple took the name "widgets" they were infact calling them "gadgets". Steve mentiones them this way a few times in early keynotes. STRAIGHT UP SNAGGLE!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Abstract said:
^^But Apple would never have thought to implement it again if they didn't realize that what Konfabulator did was actually pretty cool. ;)

You keep telling yourself that :rolleyes: Of course Apple have always waited for someone else to use the technology they had developed into something that actually always existed and then implemented it themselves.....again, like desktop folders and a speaking computer for example.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
jimsowden said:
I believe before apple took the name "widgets" they were infact calling them "gadgets". Steve mentiones them this way a few times in early keynotes. STRAIGHT UP SNAGGLE!

WOW if you could find one of those keynote for me? wow MS real is crap they do nothing new yet Windows is still leading the OS. Its crasy :confused:

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I believe before apple took the name "widgets" they were infact calling them "gadgets".
This is true.

Many people have made comparisons between Konfabulator and Apple's Dashboard, especially after Apple announced the feature while Mac OS X v10.4 was in development. It was a subject of debate on the online community following the few months before Mac OS X Tiger's official release.

One school of thought came to the conclusion that Dashboard was a "rip-off" (that is, a shameless copy) of Konfabulator. They point out the visual and functional similarities between Dashboard and Konfabulator, and the fact that both programs used the term "widgets" to describe the applications they ran. Indeed, Apple was using the term "gadgets" to describe the widgets Dashboard ran before switching to "widgets" during the course of Mac OS X Tiger's development for unknown reasons, and that both have widgets that used several modern Internet technologies.

An opposing group claims that the idea of Konfabulator was actually not new. They point to Desk Accessories, a feature found in early Apple Macintosh operating systems in 1984. They point out that many of the functions the original Desk Accessories had were similar to what Konfabulator provided (or could provide). Among them were things such as a calculator and a clock. Some even draw the conclusion that Konfabulator is ripping off Apple, and not the other way round.

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Wow :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is just... wow. How can they get away with that? Calling them 'gagets' is almost laughing in the face of OSX while saying "Haha we have it now". That on top of their new answer to Spotlight, their pilliging of 'fancy' effects and of course the 'expose' like features - Has anyone thought that even the 'Dock' isnt safe - Sidebar! Think about it - Taskbar and Sidebar. Just like OSX with its top bar and dock.

MS isnt content with their monopoly and market share?? Shouldnt be allowed, and i would have expected to see something more original from Microsoft anyway... its not going to push the 'envelope' if all we see are idea's moving from one OS to another..

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
runninmac said:
Wow... what a stupid name. It sounds so poorly placed and these people are EXCITED about it? What is wrong!
Well, considering that Apple originally called widgets Gadgets, I'm sure you'll sing a different tune. (They didn't adopt "Widgets" until after Konfabulator coined it)

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I'm not that big a fan of widgets and I know others who feel the same, so if microsoft really want something like this in their OS go for it. But, I feel that there are many other shortcomings that they should be focusing on instead of these sorts of things.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
No doubt MS implementation of these so called "gadgets" and "sidebar" etc will make for yet another bloated and vulnerable OS. Let's face it people regardless of whether MS have ripped off an idea or not, they program them poorly and they never work as they should (or as Apple's do).

Perhaps instead of MS Vista they should consider calling it MS Vespa, after all it will probably chug along like one :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
I'm a member of the camp who says that Apple was influenced by Konfabulator, but had their own ideas going. Desk Accesories, etc. Apple maybe made it very Konfabulator-like, but it a much easier fashion. Overall, Konfabulator had a great idea... but Apple's was better. Similar but better.

Abstract said:
Think about the cycles for working on OSs. Apple probably had widget's in the works before Panther hit 10.3.9 (see above), because Tiger wasn't Alpha to Gold Master in a year.

"Have you ever wondered how new technologies get developed in Apple? Wonder how a cool idea goes from incubation to release? Well, we’re excited to announce that we’ve started a blog designed to bring you closer to the process with the Gadgets blog and we’re kicking it off at the ADC."
Not that many changes and suddenly... :rolleyes:

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
katie ta achoo said:
Dear Microsoft,
Please stop being idiots.
I'll give you a piece of cake!

Oh, come on!

Also, rename your OS "OS X-tra crashes"
That would be cool.

Love,
Kt
P.S. Can you also only include the new version of Solitare in the release? I'm not interested in anything else.

P.P.S. Can you please chare me $8000 dollars for Windows OS Crashy Bad Rip Off Of Apple Edition?

P.P.P.S. Will you include an ad-ware widget *cough* excuse me, GADGET, so that I can save myself the hassle of even loading up internet explorer to get my daily dose of mal-ware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.