Microsoft has their own reality distorion field for the Post PC Future -

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Oct 27, 2011.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/27/heres-microsofts-vision-of-the-post-pc-future/#idc-container

Really? Nevermind how long it'll take to get there - most of this stuff isn't practical nor necessary in the real world - it'll also be reserved for the top 1% of multimillionaires.

Looks like they gotten their own reality distortion field - except it's not possible seeing as how they haven't gotten Windows Phone to the masses nor have a competing tablet (which is funny because they used tons of tablets in their video). Maybe they need to focus on the tablet division instead of video production?

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3. frostbit3 macrumors member

This is also coming from the company who made the awesome Courier that we never actually saw working in person, so I'm a little cynical when it comes to M$ and new technology, unless I see an actual working prototype. I will however say that Windows 8 looks very promising for tablets, and I'm looking forward to working on it.

4. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree with you guys

Awesome: Of course! If they can actually deliver this I'll be the first one to line up for an all-integrated touch-based system (phone, tablet, desktop, laptop, cars, etc)

Implementation: I can't see how they could make this work in the near (say even 10 years) future. It's a decade since XP is announced and I still think Windows 7 is clunky and unusable for anyone who actually wants to get anything done. In fact, my parents who are non-English speaking immigrants finally started using their first computer last year (at 60 and 70) and guess what, it's an IPAD! :apple:

5. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

If the future has theses technologies baked in then I'm all for it.

Maybe we can get our work done faster and have more time to do
    other important things! Probably not though...........

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

That video is pretty awesome. It reminds me of things I saw in Minority Report in the theater like nine years ago.

Microsoft still have their foothold with the enterprise. They have one way to get fast WP adoption - Nokia. The global champion in volume sales and sold like over 90M handsets last quarter. Symbian still outsells Android. North America only has 5% of the world population. Nokia still is very strong in Europe and Asia. Nokia's popularity is like soccer. Not big in the USA with only a 1% marketshare, but big everywhere else with 22% marketshare compared to Apple at 4%. By 2013, Windows Phone will be the fastest selling mobile OS because of Nokia and be no worse than #2. Nokia might have exaggerated by saying their Lumia line are the first true WP phones. But they might have made the first WP phone that people will actually CARE about getting.

Expect flexible OLED screens to play a big role in the future. Someday, people will be wearing things that will make them look like a walking Times Square. I expect this to happen sometime around 2050. I hope to see this happen if I am still alive by then in my 70's.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

There's no way you'll get a phone that thin with no bezel to work more than 1 hour with a battery small enough to fit in that thing.

8. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

I think that stuff looks awesome, itd be great to have that kind of future ahead. Especially considering what Apple could and would do at that point in time.

But one thing I don't understand was the business card at around 1:00. The internals of the card are invisible I guess? I mean it's one thing to come up with futuristic ideas but wouldn't they have to be at least conceivably physically possible? Don't get me wrong, I actually think things like that are very interesting, but they unfortunately don't seem possible, and not just because it hasn't been done yet.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's a concept video, like a concept car. It's not something they want to release, it's a showcase of the direction they hope to take their projects in.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I must be the only one who thinks that video was crap. Everything was the same - just some stupid thin sheet of card or glass everywhere you looked. It's like those futuristic sci Fi films where everyone is really boring and they all use the exact same technology.

Also, why the hell was there a taxi driver? I can guarantee automatically driven cars will be mainstream decades way before any of that crap exists.

11. Oppressed, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Fixed

Attached Files:

12. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

So basically if the technology doesn't exist we aren't allowed to dream of what it may become? Don't be so closed minded

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Ladies & Gentlemen, please a run of applause for Microsoft envisioning the future of Apple's ecosystem!!!
    :D

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

So now I will have that god awful ugly MS Office Ribbon interface in my car, on my phone, on my refrigerator...how fun. ;);)

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

16. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Interesting, how all the products had a consistent UI. Microsoft could learn from that...
    Wait, what?

17. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Not saying that at all. There is a difference between dreaming technology and actually implementing it for the common man. For something like this to become a reality there would have to be such a paradigm shift in thinking to where corporations and governments embrace the idea of change. As long as companies still use Windows XP because there is no real motivation for change then this is just science fiction.

Plus to be honest, has Microsoft EVER develop anything that would suggest they would usher in this new age of technological environment? This company doesn't innovate, they imitate. See Zune.

18. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

i love these silly futuristic videos envisioning how we will all live in X amount of years like everything will be that simple and perfect. The futures wil lNEVEr be like that. and even if we did have something like that it certainly won't be all dandy and perfect.

A 100% clear glass phone? thats impossible.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

See: Windows 8, Samsung fordable displays, Kinect interaction with other Windows devices, Nokia NFC Speaker, Layar (on iOS).

20. Brazzy macrumors regular

Why would that lady even need to travel for business? Couldn't she just conduct meetings through one of those fancy tablets?

21. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Really? You want to turn this into a "look how innovative Microsoft is" thread? Unless Balmer becomes the next president and forces all citizens to use one type of computer OS then this won't happen. Not saying that the technology is implausible, but the act of implementing it on this scale is.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Chill out dude, you asked for examples of things to usher in this style of tech, and so I showed them to you. As I said before, it's a concept video. the point is to give the general direction in which MS wants to steer their projects. It's not a "look what we're bringing out in 6 months" advert.

You can see their aim to unify their OS experience across devices in their next OS, and rumours are that Windows 9 will try to bring phones on board too. Either way, you'd hardly expect them to showcase any other company in their own concept piece.

23. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Most of this is possible. The holograms are the only part I think are beyond reasonable time nowadays. With long-range wifi (or global satellite data) most of this connectivity could be taken care of. If you have a company big enough to tie it all together across multiple platforms, this could happen too.

Google is already sharing your data on a largely platform-neutral basis, after all. Cisco has their **** pretty much EVERYWHERE and so does SUN.

Will it come from Microsoft though? Doubtful. Windows Phone 7 is really quite good, and what the Entertainment devices guys do it original and thought provoking (the Zune HD touch UI was a thing of beauty, but wasn't given time to mature and be refined into something practical, which is an odd statement for a Microsoft product) but when they kill off the really promising things like the Courier (What iPad?) it throws their forward momentum off.

That said, there are some very talented, very forward thinking people at Microsoft. The question is, do they stay and move up?

I work in the video game industry now (3 year Apple vet) and every time I see Activision, EA, Sony or even Nintendo talk, they always come off as very business. They're pitching. The Microsoft guys? They love their products, they actually enjoy playing with what they're selling. I never seem to get that impression from other device makers or most big publishers.

You want a better world Microsoft? Like the Entertainment Devices guys run it.