microsoft intellimouse, logitech MX/VX revolution? or are apple mouses better?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I went through some of mroogle's pages looking up the best mouse to use with a macbook pro, with mac os x & windows. It seems like a lot of mac users prefer other mouses, & dont much like the apple mice.

I noticed alot of people liked the Microsoft intellimouse; http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D58-00026-Intellimouse-Optical-Mouse/dp/tech-data/B00005TQ08/ref=de_a_smtd

It seemed to get good reviews & among those reviews was someone who did video editing on a mac.

I will be using graphic design programs, video editors, photoshop, along with surfing the web etc.

The intellimouse on amazon looked good, but I notice the reviews are a little old, is this mouse a bit too old? will it work with newer versions of windows & mac os? I am running snowleopard 10.6.3, & for windows will be running windows 7 professional 64 bit.

I have seen other votes for the logitec MX & VX mice.

2. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I have used Logitech for a while, and i love it. I use the Performance MX, and I think its the best mouse for everyday use. You can customize all the buttons, and it stays charged for a LONG time. I like the Magic Mouse, but it is way too small for my hand, and I can do the same, and more, with the MX.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

MX Revolution here...

I prefer it over Apple mice since it has buttons

Right/Left click. Quick Look. Forward/Back. Desktop. Expose (all windows). Expose (current application windows).

Sometimes it just depends on what your method of working is.

And yes, I know there's MagicPrefs for the Magic Mouse so you have all these extra gestures to do whatever you want... but seriously... i just want reliable buttons.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If you prefer aesthetic, then Apple is for you. In all other cases (esp. functionality), you are better off with a Logitech.

I prefer the MX rev. due to its current low price and presence of a thumb wheel vs. thumb button on Performance MX (3 functions to 1)

5. racketeer71 macrumors regular

I had a Microsoft Intellimouse years ago when I was still on Windows, and it was great. I believe it was one of the first Microsoft mice, and I was a bit hesitant - but it was perfect. It is old (5+ years), but you'll have no problem using it on your MBP.

Regarding Magic Mouse: A lot of people hate it, and a lot of people apparently love it. Personally I'm in the first group, but it might have to do with the fact that I once bought a Mighty Mouse and it was virtually useless. Probably the worst purchase I've ever made. Only way to right-click was to lift your entire hand, aim for somewhere close to the right edge, click, and then hopefully catch it before it slide to the left.

Regarding Logitech: A few years ago I bought a diNovo keyboard + MX1000 mouse. Both were, hardware-wise, excellent, but a few things annoyed me: 1) You had to charge the mouse in a dock, and the connectors are really sensitive (bump into the table, and it'll loose the connection) but most importantly 2) The driver package was a total mess. Logitechs way of thinking was (is?) that "So, you bought a mouse from us. Now we'll install a driver and a ****-load of software crap you'll never use. This software will launch whenever you start your computer, and it will check for updates every week so you're notified when there's more **** available from us. Oh, and by the way, you can't remove this notification, without removing the entire package, which also removes the functionality of your extra mouse buttons". And therefore, I'll never ever buy nor recommend a Logitech mouse again - even though they've probably gotten their act together later on. I'm scarred for life.

Personally I went with a Razer Orochi. Reason? It's bluetooth (doesn't need a USB), but it's also USB (if you need the precision in ie. games), it doesn't require a base station in wireless mode, it's small yet ergonomic (according to reviews). If you search these forums, you'll see a lot of people recommending it. And it is setup through System Preferences (after driver install) so it works flawlessly with OS X.

6. Scuby macrumors regular

I've had an iMac with a Magic Mouse for around 3 months, and definitely wouldn't want to get rid of the Magic Mouse, but at the same time it is sometimes annoying.

Basically, i really like the touch-sensitive surface, particularly for sideways scrolling - i've had other mice where the wheel was supposed to tilt sideways to do that, but it never seemed to work very well, or just wasn't very smooth. I really miss it now when i'm at work, with PCs and "normal" mice.

However, it will often do things i don't want it to. I sometimes struggle to right click (usually because part of my hand is just touching the left edge), and sometimes touch something when i don't mean to and it scrolls off somewhere i didn't want to.

So i can definitely see why it's a bit of a love/hate thing, but guess the way i use it just gets me past the balance point in the "love" side. But note that i've had mice with lots of physical buttons before and always disabled them all - i really don't get on with multiple buttons, particularly ones on the side where my thumb rests.

David

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I go with the Microsoft mouse, are there current mac os x drivers? where I would be able to configure it? I looked at the razor mouse on amazon & saw screen shots of configuration options in mac osx, I would like that with the Microsoft mouse. Do you know where I would find them? I am leaning towards the Microsoft mouse it is a bit less expensive, since I have spent quite a bit om my computer so far, as long as it will work with the newer os 's of today; windows 7 & mac os x snowleopard.

will the microsoft mouse work with both windows 7 running on a mac as well as mac os x?

8. circularforward macrumors 6502

I use the MS Explorer mouse just fine in Snow Leopard. I have had no problems with the MS Mouse drivers and program that is installed within System Preferences. Looking at the Amazon reviews, it seems people are using the Intellimouse just fine within Mac OS.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

For all the things Apple does right they have never been able to make a really good mouse.

I would say Logitech or Microsoft would both be better choices if function is more important than looks.