Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
they ended development for IE for mac a year or so ago

why? because they knew that Safari was more popular and better....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
they ended development for IE for mac a year or so ago

why? because they knew that Safari was more popular and better....

Wish someone would tell my online banking service who keep on telling me to 'upgrade' my browser. :rolleyes:

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Thank god, MS Internet Explore for Mac is dead. Even though MS Office (for Windows and OS X) is useful, the rest of MS products are not built too well given their market dominance and money they accumulates. Safari and firefox will take care of web serfing needs.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Wish someone would tell my online banking service who keep on telling me to 'upgrade' my browser. :rolleyes:

Yeah same here. Arghhhh ... so annoying!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I wish Microsoft would kill IE for Windows also!

C'mon Microsoft, you KNOW you want a browser thats SAFE with Tabbed Browsing and RSS...

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Blue Velvet said:
You could tell it to them yourself! No need to wait for other to do it for you... :p

BoredinEdmonton

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
Edmonton
This might be a bit off topic, so I hope you all don't mind...

(I'll include my standard "I'm new to the mac scene" disclaimer)

If IE is not the browser of choice in the mac world, how do ActiveX, Java, and other "plug-ins' work?

I've heard a lot about Firefox too... what is the "preferred" browser for macs?

I apologize for the dumb questions.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BoredinEdmonton said:
If IE is not the browser of choice in the mac world, how do ActiveX, Java, and other "plug-ins' work?

I've heard a lot about Firefox too... what is the "preferred" browser for macs?

Here is a somewhat quantitative answer that isn't too old: http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=438

Most Java that isn't specifically built with Microsoft's development tools works fine. There are some websites that use MS only features, and a few of us have regular problems with them. At present, every website I regularly visit supports Firefox, pretty much, which is what I use primarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.