Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
I got a letter from Microsoft today that I expected to have my $100 rebate for Microsoft Office (from Black Friday). Instead, it was a letter saying that I didn't include the front cover of my manual (required for the rebate). But I did.

So, I called Microsoft, waited on hold. Once I got a customer rep, he pulled up my rebate submission, and basically said, "Ooops, I guess you did submit everything. I'll put this through. You should get your rebate check in 2-3 weeks."

I can't help but think that Microsoft did that purposely.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I hardly think Microsoft is out to get you (or anyone). It was in all likelihood an honest mistake.

Office is a very popular product; Microsoft would rather you be happy with it than defect to iWork or NeoOffice. ;)

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
They did something similar to my wife. They disallowed her rebate since they claimed that she bought it on 11/26 when that was in fact the shipping date. Once I pointed this out to them they relented and put the rebate through, just as they did for you. I agree that this is most likely a business strategy to keep every penny that they can.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Ohhh can it be an ASCII art presentation??

Click for bigger pic.
What you talkin' about Willis? :eek: :p

Office does have its purpose though (or iWork or NeoOffice). However, considering how useful the software (and others like it) is for a lot of users, we should have some standards by now (and this you can blame on Microsoft).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
they can just ignore you unless you call them, IF they were to get you on this, instead, they send you a mail! lol

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Microsoft is hardly out to get you. They don't even handle the rebates; they farm it out to a company that specializes in rebate administration.

chendur

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
Exactly the same case for me!! They told me that my rebate is rejected... then after telling them I sent everything I see the status now that rebate will be sent in 3 weeks!!

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
how much did you pay? I know amazon is selling it for $130 (3 licenses)

Hey! I bought that from Amazon. I missed the fact that it was good for "3 licenses" when I bought it. Now I have installed it on my iMAC and my wife's Mac-Mini using the first two codes. And . . . I have a 3rd unused code.

I am not familiar with this "3 licenses" thing. Does that mean that I can legally install it on yet another Mac?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Hey! I bought that from Amazon. I missed the fact that it was good for "3 licenses" when I bought it. Now I have installed it on my iMAC and my wife's Mac-Mini using the first two codes. And . . . I have a 3rd unused code.

I am not familiar with this "3 licenses" thing. Does that mean that I can legally install it on yet another Mac?

Yeah...that's the point...3 licenses for 3 computers.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
...as long as they are all within your household ;). Don't try to sell it to someone else; that would technically be a violation of the contract.

Ich verstehe. All my friends own Windows PCs. Sad. :(

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
...as long as they are all within your household ;). Don't try to sell it to someone else; that would technically be a violation of the contract.

or a family member at collage, that they are fine with....

Note: if you try to use the same code on multiple computers in your house it will use the network and only allow you to use one at a time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.