Microsoft is Our Friend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silentsage, Jun 20, 2009.

1. silentsage macrumors member

I recently purchased one of the new 13" MBPs. It is a superb laptop. Apple hit a grand slam with this one.

But Microsoft helped. You see, I bought the MBP using a student discount, so it was $1099 for the 2.26 GHz machine. On top of that, Apple has their student promotion whereby, if you buy a Mac, you can get a free iPod. I picked the 8 GB iPod touch, which is worth $229. I'll sell it on eBay, since I already have an iPhone. On Bay it's worth about $170. So the net cost of the 13" MBP is (to me) about $929 (less taxes and eBay fees).

Just wanted to say thanks to Microsoft for their advertisements that suggested Apple laptops were over-priced. Today (at least for college students) they are a tremendous value (but of course they were before too, maybe just a little less).

Kudos to Apple for their remarkable products.

(and good luck Steve Jobs, hope things go well for you, especially if the news reports today are true..........)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which is great for students but not everyone else.

3. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

4. qpid macrumors regular

or if you know that apple doesn't verify student eligibility on their site

5. Germwise macrumors regular

don't forget the free printer for another 50-75 off when you sell it on craigslist.

6. B-Ryan macrumors newbie

I work for Razorfish (a microsoft corp) and got a 15% discount on my 17" macbook pro. So I thank microsoft too.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Apparently they do verify a certain percentage. But what that percentage is I don't know.

8. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Also great with you never intend of playing any games on it. ;)

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I will play devil's advocate.

That is all fine, but if you are on a budget and need a notebook to just do the standard college stuff (MS Office, email, web browsing), then a Windows notebook will always be more affordable. It is a different user experience, but they still work well. Considering the 13" MBP does not have dedicated graphics, it is basically an old Macbook with a nice touchpad, better battery and an aluminum case. At those specifications, you can likely buy a Windows based machine without the nice design trimmings for under $600.

I am not saying it is a bad machine or overpriced, but I would not call it comparable. Barely looking, I found this comparable Dell for $519. Again, it is plenty of computer for a standard college student. Do you NEED a Mac? Or is it a WANT?

I have a white Macbook (2.1gHz, Intel x3100) and a new Macbook Pro 15" (2.66gHz, nvidia 9600M). I also have a Dell Latitude X1 and a Fujitsu T2010 and a pair of assembled windows desktops. All serve a function and are shared with my wife.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

HAH!!!

We got you beat ......

MBP $1099 ( Student Price )
    IPod $229
    Total - 1328.00 ( No Tax Delaware )

Discounts ...

Rebate - $229
    Sold Ipod Locally - $200 ( Sold to a guy in Maryland - he saved $42.74 cause MD has Sales Tax )

Total Discounts $429

Ours cost $899 straight up!!!!!!

Yeah the iPod promo makes it a good deal, especially if you don't want the iPod and sell it off.

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Why is that, got quite a large growing mac game library here.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

OK so my daughter graduated from High School and I promised her a Laptop. I was going to buy her a sub-$600 Windows Notebook.

WOW - they did not have dedicated graphics.
    Build quality was mediocre at best.

I gave her the $600 I promised her and she decide it would be better to get the Mackbook Pro. After doing the math I told her - " If you give me $299 I will get you the MBP. " So she thought ...... " Dad's $600 and my $299 is only $899, how's he gonna buy it for that. " It was then that I layed down the plan to her and showed her how to get it for $899.

You can say what you want ..... but put the 13" or 15" Macbook Pro up against any consumer Laptop in the stores and compare build quality. Just because it is cheaper, doesn't make it better. I used to buy Windows notebooks, and they didn't seem to have very good lifespan. it seemed like in a year or two you were looking for another one.

I used to buy HP Omnibooks at $2500 a copy. Even with those I was getting a new one every year or two.

Imagine my shock and awe, when I spent $2000 for an Apple Powerbook and that lasted me 5 years before I handed it off to the kids.

When you consider the total cost of ownership, I feel Apple comes out cheaper.

A 5 year old Apple can look like new, properly cared for. ( Maybe this is why Apples seems to hold a higher percentage of its value at reseale )

A 5 year old Dell or any other will show more wear because of the materials it is made from.

Lot to be said for that aluminum case.

13. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

The price, brand, look does not determine if one thing is a need or a want when you are going to be purchasing the same thing regardless. In the situation that would be a need or a want is if the student could use books and a notepad as that would make any computer a want and not a need.

Once it gets down to that a computer is a need then you take into account if it needs to be portable or not, next up is battery life, support, speed, setting specific application requirements, platform familiarity, long term resale value, usable life time.

Then you can look at what make and model fits your personal needs or which is the best compromise. You do not base that choice on cost though it is an important factor if you were to base a purchase on cost it would be the same as a 3D artist buying a $400 dell when it is just not fit for propose and he should have gotten the $4000 workstation with professional level 3D hardware and ECC RAM.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's your video card?

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Everyone else can still do the Ipod trick ... even if you sell the iPod off for only $150

$1199 - $150 = $1049

By the way, I think almost anyone can get a discount. Just ask the clerk if your Employer has a program with Apple.

I mention that my son worked for McDonalds and he got a discount on other purchases as well. Student Discount on the computer, McDonalds discount on accessories that do not qualify for Student Discount.

16. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

Of course the competition is good! Some people need to get their minds set in a consumers' perspective, not a corporate perspective. I don't give a crap about the Microsoft vs. Apple debate as long as I have a working computer with either OS. So far neither have failed me.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Once again not everyone gets a corporate discount either.

My student ID doesn't have an expiration date nor do they require an .edu e-mail to make an in-store purchase. I don't see a reason to abuse the system set up for currently accepted or enrolled students.

18. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

LULZ!

sorry, as much as i love macs...no self respecting gamer would ever succumb to mac gaming as the only viable option. mac ports are inferior and majority of gamers who do game on macs utilize bootcamp. if anyone wants to game then buy a 13" mbp and use the money you saved vs a 15" mbp and build a desktop gaming rig. :cool:

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to agree. I got a Macbook and built a desktop to handle everything else.

The 9400M is across the entire notebook line. You're still going to cough up the money for the 9600M GT. There's no reason to go overboard since you're going to the same performance across the line.

20. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Right now, I would not recommend a Dell. Was talking to various IT managers/resellers from all over the country yesterday (on another forum), and the general experience was that they are taking over a month to fill orders, and their laptops (specifically the e6400 & D630) are plagued with hardware issues.

This is not my experience, although, the head IT manager is annoyed by how long Dell has been taking to fulfill our orders. He now has a few Lenovo ThinkPads that were ordered for us to test out. It's looking like we might be switching from Dell to Lenovo for our Windows-based laptops.

Also, from when I started there back in 2006, I have seen a massive movement to Apple computers. We're now at ~35% of all our computers/laptops being Intel-based Macs.

21. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I am saying that I disagree with silentstage's premise; Apple did not just cut costs, they cut components. The 13" Macbook Pro is pretty much a white Macbook with some tweaks, but under the hood... not terribly different.

Good point. I completely agree and was hoping I articulated that point.

When I was in college, the difference between $500 and $900 was a very big deal. Now, it is not. It is all relative to the situation. Then again, no one had a notebook computer when I was in college.

I have said this for years; the low end Macs are no bargain if you take a look at the components and the price. Here you are definitely paying for the OS. The Macbook Pro (with dedicated graphics) and the Mac Pro, when you break down the cost of components, are actually a relatively good deal.

For me, the beauty of the Macbook (white) is that is has a great form-factor and it runs Digidesign's Pro Tools LE well without any tweaks. Any premium I paid on that Macbook was well worth it for that reason alone.

If I was on a strict budget and just needed to run MS Office and web-browsing, I would not be looking at a Mac. I might even look into an Ubuntu-loaded Dell at that point and run Open Office.

Again, I am not complaining or saying that Macs are overpriced.

22. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Best advice. I fully agree with this. It only takes a few hundred to buy/build a fairly powerful Windows-based gaming PC. Parts these days are very very cheap on the Windows (PC) side.

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Qhat about the plastic macbooks? Do they suck because they are made of plastic?

24. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

My two year old 2.16 White Macbook has chips galore on it, and I baby this thing. Another friend of mine had to fight Apple tooth and nail to replace the casing on hers because it goes little hairline cracks all over it. The plastic casing is pretty s**tty.

25. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

[​IMG]