Microsoft is retiring Skype 6.13 and below.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Jun 22, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is a long time coming. They removed video chat some time ago and left PPC users on 2.8 with IM and audio chat only.

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

Can't we use Skype with some other app as with other networks?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Skype app isn't the problem, the problem is the server. Microsoft is stopping support for the only application on PowerPC Macs that can sign in and use it. Other applications on PowerPC Macs that can do Skype stuff need to app to be open and running in order to use the Skype APIs. Those apps won't work as Skype won't be able to sign in.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I use Skype with Adium (there's a plugin for Adium). But the problem here is way more than MS just dropping support.

MS has declared that if you aren't on a current version the system will not let you log in. Without being able to login, you can't Skype.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I guess I will add this to my list of things to thank Microsoft for screwing up right there with Windows 7 Gadgets, Windows Live Mesh, and my personal favorite has to be Visual Basic.

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Which is unfortunate! It's a bummer, this is another of the ever-so-remaining nails into the coffin.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

A shame. I guess it is a good job I don't really use Skype anymore.

9. wobegong Guest

What do you use out of interest? I'm evaluating options that I can use across Intel mac, iOS, Android at the moment and seem to be heading for Yahoo Messenger.
    I want to be able to use a single chat and video app regardless and these are what the people I need to contact regularly use.

Unfortunately I am stuck with Skype for work so that's the G5 out on that score but was using an iPad anyway for Skype video at home (but it has a lousy speaker).

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Nowadays, most of my contacts use BBM. But I also use loads of other stuff for them who prefer other messaging clients. Thankfully my BlackBerry has a feature called the HUB which can handle all communications from one place, regardless of what app they use/require. And since there is a Skype app available for BBOS10, all that has changes is that I'll be using my phone for Skype instead.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you use Adium it doesn't matter what service you choose because Adium handles all of them. One app, all services. Then your only problem is figuring out which SERVICE to use and NOT which app you HAVE to use because of the service you chose.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you use Skype with Adium, it still requires the Skype app to be open and logged in so that it can use its APIs. With Microsoft killing PowerPC Skype, the Adium plugins will no longer work.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, that is true. But the user I was responding to was looking for alternative options to Skype but wants to use one app. That's why I suggested Adium. Even without Skype, which is not handled by Adium by default, the app still covers every major service including Facebook and Twitter. You'd have to choose a different app on the different devices of course, but instead of limiting yourself to the service provided by a cross-platform app you could have just one app and then just choose the service you want to use instead.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I haven't been able to get the last PowerPC version's Facebook chat working for a few years. The current version of Adium's Facebook works. It also doesn't like the internal Jabber network that I use, but Leopard iChat does. It's really silly sometimes.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My Macs are at home right now. I will check my settings for you later tonight. I haven't used either of those in a while so I may run into the same issues as you, but I will check.

I do recall having issues with FB. There was a workaround for awhile and then they fixed it. My problem with using FB with Adium is that when you log yourself in it also turns the chat on if you are using a browser, which is aggravating when you have Adium open int he background and you're trying to browse FB.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would think Adium would have to do that to let the server work with chat services.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, but then I've got that big old list of friends hanging out on the page. That really hits CPU and is extremely annoying. I get why it happens, but I just don't care for it. Most of my FB messaging is done via my phone anyway so this is usually off if I use Adium.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree that it is definitely annoying.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Use Jabber settings instead. Facebook chat works just fine with them.

EDIT: Misread your post, didn't notice you had mentioned that jabber didn't work for you. :eek:

Attached Files: