Microsoft is so original...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrM, Feb 7, 2009.

1. MrM macrumors 6502

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

but it will probably work better than mobileme.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

QFT. :D

4. TheLaughingFox macrumors newbie

TheLaughingFox

5. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Setting the bar a little high there, huh? A 5 year old with chronic ADD works better than MobileMe. :rolleyes:

6. Denholm macrumors member

Denholm

Pity that Windows Mobile is trash.
    And yeah, 'My Phone' - Microsoft just doesn't get it, still.

7. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

This is just MobileMe without that fruit logo on it.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

That is what Microsoft has done for the last 20 years. Copy Apple's idea and bugger it up somehow, then slightly repackage it.

To be fair, it's not just microsoft. Have you noticed how many phones are trying to be the iPhone and failing miserably.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Core: MobileMe Name: 'M' + iPhone = MiPhone -->fixed-->MyPhone

Ta-da!

:apple:

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

11. Cakester macrumors regular

I know this sounds off the wall, but what if they made a version for the iPhone and it actually worked. Wouldn't that be INSANE if they trumped apple at there own game.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I probably wouldn't go as far as to say 'INSANE'. It would be irksome at best.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They've had the "My" names for far longer than Apple has been putting "i" before their product names.

My Documents
    My Music
    My Pictures

Besides, why would Microsoft want to copy MobileMe?

Actually, no I haven't. Other than the Palm Pre, which actually has its own UI innovations and actually looks better than the iPhone (IMO), I haven't.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Are you serious? (seriously, you might be joking :D)

Firstly, it's not really to do with the name. Secondly, My [space] documents isn't even close to being like the iPhone prefix. Actually, it's not even like the MyPhone. It's completely different.

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Companies have been developing "The Cloud" for ages, both for storage, applications, and even OS. It's not a new idea, and they're not the first to work on such a product, either. . They're the first popular company to release a product and market it to people. In fact, it's pretty much a guarantee that both MS and Apple have been working on a cloud version of their OS for years. Perhaps they even have a functional version, although in really basic form due to the lack of developers and amount of secrecy required. SJ may be using it right now. Who knows?

And with regards to naming convention, I'm just trying to illustrate that Microsoft has always dumbed their OS down by calling things "My ___". This means they've been doing it for ages, and therefore, not copying the naming convention like people here are implying.

So no, I'm not joking, and unless you've never used Windows 95 and up, you must know its true.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

So? That has no real relevance to Microsoft copying what Apple have done with MobileMe.

This is preposterous. My isn't a naming convention and it's certainly not something associated like the i prefix. It's just what they called a few home folders.

Microsoft has a long and well known habit of copying what apple does and releasing strangely similar products. This is another example, quite why you're defending something so blatant is staggering.

18. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Well I think that Microsoft dropped that with Vista, you know, they all have lost their prefixes:
    My Computer --> Computer
    My Documents --> Documents
    My Music --> Music
    My Pictures --> Pictures
    My Videos --> Videos

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Apple is a like a sexy young blonde, Microsoft is like a creepy old man.

20. mcnicks macrumors regular

Cool. Maybe I will be able to get me one of those jbloggs@my.com email addresses.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Computers, mp3 players, and phones are "cold" products, and do not exude any personality or individuality. They're identical. Electronics makers know this, but their marketing have tried to personlise it anyway, and giving consumers names that imply that there's some level of individuality through possession, and allowing for colour options and engraving was one way of doing so. However, long ago, Microsoft tried to do so by naming their folders "My Music" instead of just "Music", or "My Documents" instead of "Documents" to give you a sense of individuality, and personalization of that machine. It's far better than advertising something as "a portable jukebox that stores music files." Even names like "iMac", "MySpace", and "Wii" are just examples of this very basic idea of marketing to people so that they feel that they're buying is personal, or in the case of the "Wii", a strong sense of camaraderie.

If you really think MS copied this type of naming convention from Apple, I don't agree. It's marketing, and while Apple's marketing is good, doesn't make them the first.

I'm trying to be objective on a board where most people just blindly back Apple without explaining why they feel the way they do, or provide any examples to illustrate, perhaps.

I'm not implying you're one of these people, but that most people who start threads like this are that type.

That's because people were making fun of the silly names. Microsoft was accused of treating their customers like idiots. I guess this naming convention made sense with the introduction of Windows 95, because many people were afraid of these cold, distant machines back then, and weren't familiar enough with them to know where to put their stuff. Lots of people were just putting everything on their desktop until they got used to putting things in folders.

However, by Windows Me and XP, people were saying bad things about these names, much like how people make fun of any product name that use the "i" prefix because they grew tired of it. It's used on all sorts of devices because of Apple.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

What on earth are you going on about now? This has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with what we've been talking about.

Firstly, this has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Secondly, I've never said, nor suggested, that MS copied this type of naming convention (mainly because this has nothing to do with what we're talking about). Finally, I said in my last post that the very few times that Microsoft has used 'my' isn't a naming convention. In fact they have dropped it in Vista.

It'll take a lot more than you saying it's true to make it so. You're not even arguing the same point as everybody else anymore, so blatant is the copying from MS that you need to start talking about naming conventions to try to argue another point.

I'm sure you know full well that Microsoft has copied Apple an unmentionable amount of times, often poorly and with worse results. These claims can be backed up if you want to say that you believe them to be false.

However, returning to what this thread is actually about and that isn't naming conventions. Microsoft have made a very, very similar product to MobileMe and called it MyPhone (Apple has a product that sounds slightly familiar...). What they are doing is what they have done in the past; taken an implementation of an idea and changed it very slightly and sold it as their own.

They lack ingenuity and integrity. Anyway, arguing something so obvious about something I care so little about is a waste of our time.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well two did post comments with regards to how Microsoft copied Apple's naming convention (but changed it from "i" to "My"), I replied with what I thought about it, and you certainly did reply directly to that part of my post to tell me that you didn't think it was true.....

So yes, what I said was relevant to what others had said, and yes, you did post about naming convention in a previous reply. ;)

24. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Ok. I'll show you some to help you out.

Nokia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LG:

[​IMG]

Samsung:

[​IMG]

Blackberry:

[​IMG]

Palm:

[​IMG]

There are many more - even more like the iphone than ever before. Again, Apple have the idea and people jump on the band wagon.

Wow. I guess opinions are like... Well, you get the idea. In mine, it's disgusting looking.

Nobody, not a single person, mentioned naming conventions before you bought it up. Again, you're trying to change the argument because the other is so preposterous.

EmperorDarius had it right, but that was nothing about naming convention.

25. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Verizon will probably be the exclusive carrier since it mainly appeals to business men/women.