Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Nice phone. I had one for a while, but got rid. It's absolutely crippled by the lack of apps

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Nice phone. I had one for a while, but got rid. It's absolutely crippled by the lack of apps

That is not going to change no matter what Win phone one gets unless the plan to get access to other OS apps comes to fruition.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

What were the apps that you wanted, but could not get?

I see the criticism regarding lack of apps stated quite often when it comes to Windows phones and to a lesser extent for Blackberry.

In my personal opinion, smartphones are communication devices first, which means voice, text and e-mail, and then consumption devices second.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I was looking into getting another 635 or newer 640 until I saw this one. It seems to have the best balance between those two. The 640 just seems a tad too tall for me and the 635 lacks a decent cam with flash, selfie cam, and only 512 MB RAM. Seems 730/735 corrects the issues I would have from getting the 635/640. It looks so much like the Lumia 800/N9 but done better with superior specs and removable battery and expandable storage. This is what the Lumia 800 should've been. I loved that 2011 design. Too bad no cyan option.

But the price for me should be lower. Like a PS VITA, tried it for a month but I believe those should cost $120 brand new. I shouldn't be paying more than $180 for a Snapdragon 400 WP like I did with my LG G3 Beat. While the SoC is the same, 730 seems to have the superior screen and optics than my Beat. Battery could be close but my LG's upper hand is Android. WP kills the value since the apps just aren't there. I tried webOS long ago and while I loved the card UI more than any current mobile OS, but I wouldn't go back to it even back then circa 2010-2011 because of apps.

Nokia Lumia 730/735 should cost about $130 unsubsidized. If it did, it would arguably be the best smartphone under $150. But the market is so oversaturated now that it probably wouldn't matter either. Most phones at any price range can be rock solid and more than enough for a casual user for the rest of this decade. A person can buy a $50 to $200 and be very, very satisfied with whatever OS is on it.

Reactions: three

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
National Trust, and my bank. Pretty basic fodder for any smartphone to have.

I can certainly see how an app for your bank would be a deal breaker. Most banks just would not see a return in developing an app for Windows Phone considering the OS's market share.

I'm curious, what is National Trust? I'm not familiar with it. I'm assuming it is something in the UK.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
But the market is so oversaturated now that it probably wouldn't matter either. Most phones at any price range can be rock solid and more than enough for a casual user for the rest of this decade. A person can buy a $50 to $200 and be very, very satisfied with whatever OS is on it.

Savor - I think you've summed up the current state of mobile tech quite nicely with your statement. There are a lot of really good options now over all the price ranges. I think we've entered into a similar era that we saw with the PC wars in the 1990's.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
I can certainly see how an app for your bank would be a deal breaker. Most banks just would not see a return in developing an app for Windows Phone considering the OS's market share.

I'm curious, what is National Trust? I'm not familiar with it. I'm assuming it is something in the UK.

National Trust is a large organisation that aquires mostly historically significant properties and land it feels worth preserving for future generations. If the properties are in a poor condition, the Trust will restore them to as close to original condition as posible.
The properties are then opened to the public (for a price !), or, what a great number of folks do, pay an annual subscription which gets you admission to any of the properties as often as you like.
There are some real gems, you should check out the National Trust website.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
National Trust is a large organisation that aquires mostly historically significant properties and land it feels worth preserving for future generations. If the properties are in a poor condition, the Trust will restore them to as close to original condition as posible.
The properties are then opened to the public (for a price !), or, what a great number of folks do, pay an annual subscription which gets you admission to any of the properties as often as you like.
There are some real gems, you should check out the National Trust website.

Was an NT Member for years when I lived in the UK. Spent most weekends visiting NT properties, gardens and historic castles ... Yes my teenage years were really uncool :D

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
Was an NT Member for years when I lived in the UK. Spent most weekends visiting NT properties, gardens and historic castles ... Yes my teenage years were really uncool :D

What most people don't realise is that NT membership gets you into a host of properties in quite a few other countries too. Handy for me living only 30 miles from the Scottish border. There are some lovely properties up north.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Switched from a Motorola Moto E 2nd generation to the 735. Both on Verizon. Great build, memory expansion, wireless charging, removable battery and more. Yes the app store needs to improve but still a great phone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.