Microsoft makes Surface look dated with SecondLight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 30, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget [with video].

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Looks like it's expensive. I don't know how much you could actually use something like that on a daily basis.

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

Somehow this video reminds me of Iron Man... Tony Stark playing in his garage with that crazy computer.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Are my eyes fooling me, or did he pick up a holographic piece of paper? Trippy.

It will be useful in the future, it's cool that MS is experimenting with it, I know the crowd here thinks they suck and everything they do is horrific, but they are trying to drive into the future. Of course it's not feasible to purchase right now unless you are Bill Gates.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The device itself is really cool and the innovations in it are really great too, but I just don't really see why you would need to make the underlying pattern visible. It would be useful in some applications, but I just can't think of that many.

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Large scale (PC monitor) touch display will never be practical for average consumer use.

It's definitely cool, but they need to incorporate their technology in to a peripheral device that extends the touch on to the screen.

Obviously this is for high end use and not normal consumer use.

Still- kudos to Microsoft for actually innovating. :)

7. beg_ne macrumors 6502

If they want me to be impressed they need to implement a tech demo of something that makes sense. What exactly is the point of projecting a 4fps animation of a jogging man on a piece of paper while viewing a screen with a photo of a blurry sunset below it?

I guess this this is "innovative" but it's also "completely useless".

8. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Um, there's a lot of talk about how useless these things are. People once said touchscreens would be useless, and they're starting to pop up everywhere. Heck, lots of technology once deemed useless suddenly has infinite possibilities

Actually, here's a better presentation you must see if you're a naysayer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/283846.html?playlist=featured

One step closer to the holographics of the future

Now that's pretty damn impressive. Maps of star systems seems like something in the future (yeah, im a sci-fi geek). Kudos to MS for still innovating though. If any of you go to any tech fairs and see MS display their technology innovation side, you'll realize that they do a ton more than just bland OS's and Office. Only problem is, their upper management demands those products be the ones be released, not the cool things. Maybe they've finally changed

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's pretty badass. Now make it cheaper without sucking. :p

10. angelneo macrumors 68000

Interesting times, I could see creating some kind of 3D virtual controls that change according to the situation. Although, i doubt we will see anything useful until at least a few years later.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

About time. The basic GUI of operating systems hasn't changed in 25 years. Just make it happen, already.

irmongoose

12. Evangelion macrumors 68040

No, it was a normal paper that was on the surface. The device projected an image on the paper.

All in all, pretty spiffy.

13. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, it is cool and such, but honestly, how often can you use touchscreen? Right now, people with touchscreen notebooks rarely use those touchscreen features and MS is promoting Win 7 with its revolutionary touch screen feature.

To me, I would much prefer if Apple don't follow this route and instead release a touch-screen monitor (something like drawing tablet) like that connects through USB/FireWire/Display Port, so that only people who requires it will buy it rather then increasing cost of a product unnecessarily.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

This looks to be the tip of the iceberg with where they seem to be heading with this technology. It's as futuristic a projection device as I've ever seen. No way is it practical or for that matter very useful now, but if they keep pushing the envelope, something pretty spectacular is bound to be created.

I can already see the use for some of this technology. Think location based, like at a stadium or theme park. It would let you interact without touching, you would become part of the scene instead of looking at it. Pretty wild stuff. Who cares who creates it?

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Or at the office. The boss thinks you are working on the budget report, pick up the tracing paper and bam pr0n:rolleyes:

On a serious note this does seem promising. However I think MS still has a long time to go before the UI is refined enough to be productive, such as the scattering of photos across the screen with Surface would be a nightmare with thousands of pictures. Also for what users could probably throw at a large multi-touch interface I would imagine hardware needs to advance significantly to meet demands, mainly because I would imagine even the current UI takes a lot of CPU and RAM resources.

16. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

its gonna flop we do not have a need for technology this advanced yet. Even if we did let apple come out with so its not full of bugs and so we don't have to have VISTA to use it

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

They're going to need to sell even more cakes for Vista.

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

This technology is more innovative than anything Apple has released, it's amazing, imagine this sort of technology for photographers being able to use tracing paper to see meta data about a photo?

or engineers being able to see data about parts in a schematic? truely amazing, but what they need to do is miniaturise it now.

Reminds me of that film, Minority report, imagine this surface tech on one of those see-through OLED displays? :D

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

For now it's useless. But in a decade or so, maybe not. I'm interested to see what Apple is doing for the future too. They haven't shown anything like this (or like Surface for that matter), but they are quiet in anything they plan for the future.

I can't wait for the first movie made with this technology. :D:p

20. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

that thing is the coolest thing ever...
    if only it synced with iTunes