Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft yesterday launched a Windows 7 campaign website announcing a discount program aimed at college and university students, bringing the cost of Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional for eligible customers down to $29.99 to effectively match Apple's Mac OS X Snow Leopard pricing. The offer, which expires January 3rd, 2010 is valid for the download version of Windows 7, and users wishing to purchase a physical disk will be required to pay an additional $13.00.
- You qualify if you have a valid .EDU e-mail OR an e-mail address through one of the educational institutions listed here.
- You are enrolled in coursework, current proof or enrollment may be required in the United States.
- Your PC is able to run Windows 7 - use this tool to check. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
Microsoft's full terms and conditions note that students must be actively enrolled in at least 0.5 course credits at the time of purchase and may be required to provide proof of enrollment. As noted on the Windows 7 Team Blog, pre-orders are available in the US immediately, with the UK to follow on September 30th. Students in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea and Mexico will be able to take advantage of the program once Windows 7 launches on October 22nd.

At its October 22nd launch, Windows 7 will carry much higher non-promotional prices of $119.99 (upgrade) and $199.99 (full) for the Home Premium edition, $199.99 (upgrade) and $299.99 (full) for the Professional edition, and $219.99 (upgrade) and $319.99 (full) for the Ultimate edition. A comparison of the various versions[/url] is available to assist customers in deciding which version is right for them.

Article Link: Microsoft Matches Snow Leopard Price With Windows 7, But Only for Students

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
I don't have to decide which version of my operating system is right for me.

It's $29 and not feature restricted.

Gee, what a thought.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Guess Microsoft have suddenly realised their future market is at uni/ college and realised that students cannot afford to upgrade and will probably just pirate it anyway.

Snow Leopard has made Windows wake up I think!

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't see any non-US schools (well that's not true, but I didn't see any of the major Canadian schools). It sounds great if they can say that Win7 is only $30 but unfortunately it's a small audience (relative to the audience that can purchase Snow Leopard for $30).

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I have a hard time figuring out how this gets the front page treatment.

Either way, apples vs oranges.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Sorry - what does this have to do with Mac?

This place is more obsessed with Zune and Win7 than anywhere else on the web.

I agree. Seems like Page 2 news.

I have an XP machine but I don't know if I want to move to 7. Even for $30. XP works the way I want.

With Mac upgrades, it feels like evolution of the OS. With windows, it just feels like disconnected change. Just my opinion.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Sorry - what does this have to do with Mac?

This place is more obsessed with Zune and Win7 than anywhere else on the web.

I think it's an attempt to show the direct competition...

MAC OS X 10.6: 29.99
WINDOWS 7: 29.99 (limited features, 2 years license, etc)

ZuneHD vs. iPod Touch

I don't visit MacRumors & PCRumors, just MacRumors. I don't mind hearing about the competition. It sort of gets me excited to start speculating what Apple's next move will be.

Perhaps a price drop for students $.99
:rolleyes:

macobsession11

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
ya who really gives a crap what Microsoft is doing! Apple is still the best. Microsoft is always trying to keep up with Apple but they don't got nothing on us lol. lets start talking about Apple and not Microsoft.

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Anyone see how to get the Professional version?

I wouldn't mind having a legal copy of Windows 7.

I don't want the Home-Premium version though, it disables the XP compatibility mode. Does anyoen see how to get the Professional version?

Anyone know if this is the Full or Academic version? The academic version can't legally be used on a computer that you use to make money...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
What a bunch of losers. They finally realised about the price but too bad they still have all those confusing editions.

Must protect the $$$ somehow.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Great move!

I get it free from MSDN-AA, but whatever. I'm definitely not going to resell it, oh no. Not a chance.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
My college offered a disc version of XP Pro for 5 dollars back when I started in 2004. So this isnt really even a deal as far as student pricing goes.

wbeasley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2007
XP "up"grade...

just wait til they all start to realise what an XP upgrade involves... a clean install.

no way am I going to do that.

how are you going to find all the programs you installed and their software keys? it's not the major programs that take the effort. all the little utilities you sometimes use, the plug-ins, the codecs... that's what takes the time to reinstall and leaves you pulling your hair out.

clean installs are not something you do lightly. i had a hard drive crash recently on a PC. it was fairly painless to reinstall XP but i've yet to find the spare time to get all the other things, the bits that do the worthwhile stuff, installed again.

MS had better rethink it's path if it wants to convince the majority of XP users this is progress: create a tool that goes through the registry and works out what to keep and how to make it painless. That should keep em busy for a few more years. LOL.

Have just upgrade to Snow Leopard. Only glitch? the bluetooth mouse had problems but that's now fixed. 1 hour all up. no drama.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Guess Microsoft have suddenly realised their future market is at uni/ college and realised that students cannot afford to upgrade and will probably just pirate it anyway.

Snow Leopard has made Windows wake up I think!

Actually, many students will just pirate the Ultimate Edition anyway. Why pay $30 for something that's going to be restricted. Not to mention Snow Leopard is available for $30 for ALL Intel based Mac owners.

Just like Zune HD, Windows 7 will never be able to beat Apple's simplicity and giving people what they NEED and WANT. Sorry MS. Google and Apple are the coup that will end the plague of Windows.

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
I wouldn't mind having a legal copy of Windows 7.

I don't want the Home-Premium version though, it disables the XP compatibility mode. Does anyoen see how to get the Professional version?

Anyone know if this is the Full or Academic version? The academic version can't legally be used on a computer that you use to make money...

Evidently they aren't academic versions, so they should sell well on eBay

https://windows7.digitalriver.com/D...onPage&SiteID=mswpus&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE#q4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.