Microsoft Messenger 8.0.0 - Can't Log In

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Creebe, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Creebe macrumors newbie

I was online earlier this evening, and the messenger crashed. So I restarted it and I couldn't log on. Later I tried with an older version, still couldn't log on. So I thought it was my internet, so I tried with my neighbours internet, still couldn't log on.

I had internet the entire time, but messenger just wouldn't log on.

Here's the exact error message:

"Sign in to Microsoft Messenger failed because the service is not responding. The service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet."

Anyone got similar problems?

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Hi Creebe,

I got my 1st every Mac on thursday having moved from being a PC user for about 15 years.

My wife doesn't like change but she was willing to give it ago as it was a 30th Birthday present for me.

Would you believe having got it home and installed MSN (the one program that HAS to work as she uses it) couldn't log in. :eek:

I had installed version 7 but have now stuck 8 on it and did a restart of the system and it seems fine now but i haven't used it too much.

I'm hoping it was a Microsoft issue and not a mac issue as this will not be good for her stress levels! haha

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Messenger Mac is a very poor app. When I had it, it rarely signed in, webcam chat only worked when it felt like it and it filled my home folder will all-sorts of rubbish.

Unless chatting over webcam is necessary, I'd advice alternative software such as Adium.

Alternatively you could start using AIM in iChat, however, that means you would have to get all of your Messenger contacts over to AIM as well.

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Cheers Roadbloc. Can you tell me if it displays unread emails (icon) when she logs on?

5. amandamck macrumors newbie

Same here

My messenger has not allowed me to log in for the past 3 days. have tried everything including re-installing messenger. I'm on OSX 10.6.5 with messenger 8.0. If you figure it out, let me know!!

6. amandamck macrumors newbie

solution

Figured out how to make it work again. Click "login with a different user name" then click "clear history" Then login. Allows it to log in again, but you lose all your history. If it's important to you, copy your history to a different folder before doing this.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I do believe there is an option for it to display alerts when an email is received. I'm not sure whether this is made possible by one of the many plugins available for adium (marked as extras on the website) or this feature is built in. It's been a while since I've used adium.

8. natt macrumors newbie

hii creebe
    jus wondering if u fixed the problem, i have the same one and cant fix it ive tried everything.

9. ash105 macrumors newbie

Thank you

This worked for me. Why is it my problems on my mac are all microsoft related?