Microsoft Messenger for Mac. IM GONNA HAVE A FIT.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Violin.Parke, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Violin.Parke macrumors newbie

For the past 2 months, I have not been able to change my name and keep it that way. It changes back to normal EVERY TIME I SIGN ON.

For the past two months I have not been able to edit my contact list on my computer. It works on others and my contact list is fine on my friends PC but when I log onto MSN here, it's back to normal. AND it says "Server was unable to remove user ______. Please try again."

I have downloaded and redownloaded different versions but nothing changes. I feel like I'm on the verge of a stroke or something. It drives me crazy.

What is this?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's the new switch to windows live messenger going on on the windows side of things. It displays the name of your @hotmail.com or @msn.com or whatever else address because it is the information it has. It is trying to sync your contact list and messing with your screen name in the process. Since mac users get the short end of the stick from microsoft messenger wise, you have a few choices:

a. Suck it up and live with it
    b. Install vmware fusion, install windows xp as a stripped down virtual machine and use windows live on that
    c. Say "screw microsoft" altogether and do what I did

My fix? I downloaded Adium, chose a skin I liked and uninstalled messenger for mac completely.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I have it and its great! Way better than anything Microsoft, and its FREE!:D

4. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

Adium, I tried. I hate it. It's not MSN. xD Don't wanna sound prissy.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Msn sucks. That's the cold hard truth. Adium has more features than msn for mac ever will have.

6. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

It was fine 2 months ago. I don't see why it started misbehaving now. Theres no reason for it to after working just fine for 2 years. I dont get it.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Like I said, it's due to microsoft's move to their new live platform. The messenger for mac hasn't been updated in almost a year if I recall correctly, and I doubt they will include those features. They don't even include voice or video chats even though the product is 5 years old.

Microsoft simply doesn't give a rat's ass about you using messenger, because they are not making any money off of you using it, since you don't get all the useless ads windows users get on windows live messenger, therefore, I doubt they ever will fix the problem.

8. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

But its so ugly lol. I saw it and I didn't even want to look into preferences or w.e I want it to look and feel like MSN :)

9. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that's logical. I'm still pissy about it though. I hope they do something, but then again, as we all know, hope only leads to disappointment ;( Ill try checking adium out again but I still hate it. Can it even have custom emoticons?

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

It can have custom emoticons, it has tons of skins for it, you can modify pretty much everything about it.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, I mean MSN is made by Microsoft lol:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I've tried both and Adium is miles better :D

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, if they don't gain anything from it, they couldn't care less about it.

13. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

try Amsn. its a copy of Microsoft messenger for linux and mac systems plus it has video and voice calls

14. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh I'm one of those lazy people. Especially after having such horrible days xD I wish someone here would just set it up for me lol. Is there a skin that looks like MSN?

15. Violin.Parke thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooh, what's this? A way to beat the system? :O I shall try it :rolleyes:

16. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

lol now i see your post haha

anyway Microsoft are ***holes when supporting apple stuff i hate that about them :mad:

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No offense, but whats so great about how MSN looks?

18. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

"Adium is ugly?"

Wow..... Have you even tried the display preferences or skins? You can make Adium look as plain or flashy as you want, icons are skinnable etc. Everything is changable. It works with all major instant message programs, at once even. It doesn't crash like MSN, and believe me most of us have tried MSN on Mac and went through exactly what you are. Adium is constantly updated. It is MSN in that you can talk to MSN contacts etc, and they can see your iTunes, picture, whatever. It also has a really great custom status engine.

Or is Adium just "too" configurable for you?
    LOL
    Not to be rude, but slap some skins on it and try it!
    :confused:

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm having the same problem as you. It was sort of working before only remembering my names and personal messages half the time (actually less than that). Everyone seems to be using Adium as an alternative but I know where you're coming from and feelings toward using 3rd party all in one messengers - it's not the same as WLM, you're just used to doing things and you feel comfortable with it and a 3rd party application just won't do.

Like others have said, either try other software or wait for the new WLM for Mac to be released. There is a beta out there but very unstable. Hopefully it gets released soon but I wouldn't hold your breath.

20. AD05 macrumors newbie

I had this sort of problem before and it was because i deleted couple of people off my list. If you deleted anyone.. try to add them again and see if that fixes the problem.

21. Junkie2 macrumors member

22. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I am stuck with MSN too. Adium, no matter how great it looks, the plugins and all consumes too much CPU and RAM for what it is. So I ended up installing MSN for mac and using ichat for google talk. When my VM is on, I never use either.

MSN, Google talk and the no-joke Excel are the things I miss most on my mac.