Microsoft messenger for mac not signing in!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Frohike, May 14, 2007.

1. Frohike macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2007
    Kent, England
    Hey could do with a little help here,
    I use Microsoft messenger for mac and for the past few days i have been unable to sign in, it attempts to log in for about a minute or two and then says "Sign in to microsoft messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet" I am clearly connected to the internet. Messenger was working just a couple of days ago and all of a sudden i can't sign in! It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    uninstall it (including the preferences file) and reinstall it

try using Adium too, it's better than the official MSN
  3. Frohike thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2007
    Kent, England
    Ok so i took your advice and installed Adium and now its saying "Connection error from Notification server: Writing error"

So now i'm thinking its my Mac thats stopping me using these. Maybe my system preferences or something? Anyway a little help on this would be fantastic!
  4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    Do you have PeerGuardian2 installed by chance? I had a similar problem after installing PeerGuardian2, Adium wouldnt connect to MSN. Disabling the Microsoft blocklist solved that problem immediately.
  5. nightelf macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2003
    That error is common. I get it a few times a month. Prob the server where you are logging is restarting or something like that.

Also check if you have the latest version 6.0.2.
  6. MagicUK macrumors regular

May 12, 2007
    Hampshire, England
    Once you have resolved the issue I would advise sticking with adium, It was recommended to me a few days ago and personal opinion but I think its one of the *mac must have's*.