microsoft messenger on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kmac88, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kmac88 macrumors member

hi, just got my macbook pro 15inch yesterday. My first mac, so still getting use to it, but love everything about it so far. Cept one problem with msn messenger . when i try to log on to msn messenger it tells me that it failed to connect cause the service is not responding." the service is not available or you may not be connected to internet". i can go on to websites and such but cannot log on to msn. It lets me log on time to time. Does anybody have an idea what the problem is? do i have to change some setting or something?

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I know a solution. You should download Adium and use that instead. It is much more awesome and customizable. see mine?

Attached Files:

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i agree with jmann.. go for Adium, you can use a number of other IM protocols on it at the same time (it supports multiple MSN too). the only down side is that it doesnt do video/audio but its a small price to pay :p

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

That's what Skype is for. ;) It's best at that anyway.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I only have a few minor problems with Messenger for Mac, but other people I know experience similar problems to you. Why Microsoft can't maintain a decent client for the Mac is quite beyond me.

I do use aMSN sometimes, that's quite good but rough around the edges. I think the majority of people probably go for Adium, though. Never used it myself but it's probably more polished.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, but a downside to skype is that you cant choose the upload speed of your video.. which i hate

a new MSN is coming out soon.. well.. who knows... just wait a year or two hah.

7. hohohong macrumors 6502

I've being experiencing unstability with MSN recently too!

Both my Mac face same problem recently. Is MS updating MSN soon, hence the instability?

8. kmac88 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i do use skype too, but most of my friends have msn messenger, so wanted to stick with microsoft messenger instead of a 3rd party program. but if i can't find a solution that might be the only option..

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, thats no the instability.. they havent relseased any sort of updates for this new version. it would be their normal crap :p

10. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

If you need MSN video, aMSN has limited video/audio capabilities. It's butt ugly but functional.

11. kmac88 thread starter macrumors member

BumP** Does anyone have a solution of Microsoft Messenger? i would like to stick with this rather than using a 3rd party program. Tried using Adium but it's little too much and complicated. Like the simplicity of Microsoft Messenger. Bootcamp windows is not an option atm

Thanks

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:eek: i dont know how your brain works but Adium is MUCH MUCH easier to use for me then silly MSN Messenger. if you want video chat with MSN the only solution is aMsn or Mercury Messenger.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Microsoft tends to provide less support for Macs in general, and even less for the Mac version of Microsoft Messenger. I'd say use an alternative, like aMSN or Mercury Messenger. AIM is more popular amongst the lower age groups, but Skype is a good option for video chats for the adults (sorry I'm a teen so forgive me if I make you sound really old).

14. causemark macrumors newbie

causemark

Is anyone having problems with Mercury?

I have been using Mercury for about 6 months and it worked fine. All of a sudden this week it logs int, then immediately logs me out and says "You are logged out because there is a problem with a connection to the MSN server."
    Why this, all of a sudden?

I tried re-installing Mercury but still...same thing. Frustrating.:mad:

15. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

Give Adium one more try. It's not that complicated once you spend a few minutes with it. Whenever you see one of those "Top 10 Mac Apps You Can't Live Without" lists, Adium is ALWAYS on it, and for good reason!

16. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Do you have your firewall enabled? If so, is your firewall set up to allow Messenger to connect? Open up your System Preferences, select Security, then Firewall. If you have "Allow all incoming connections" set, then you're fine. If you have one of the other options selected, then you'll need to add Messenger to the list. Click the plus sign at the bottom, add Messenger, and make sure it's set to "allow incoming connections". (These instructions assume you're using Leopard, I don't have a Tiger install handy to check to see what would be different.)

If you're using a wireless router, make sure that it allows ports 1863, 80, and 443 to connect. I can't provide directions for this because it's completely dependent upon your router.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

17. jojobrain macrumors newbie

hi...i'm having the same issue where both my msn and adium doesn't connect..even mercury doesnt connect for my hotmail...but the msn on windows xp/vista (other comps attached to the same router) works fine. i did have peer guardian, but i still can't connect after a) disabling it , b) removing it. pls help..thanks!

ps: i have an ibook on mac os x 10.4.11

18. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Have you tried connecting via HTTP?
    Go on Adium and into Preferences (Cmd+,) then click the Accounts tab. Select the account you want to connect with and click 'Edit' at the bottom of the window. A sheet should slide down and then click on the Options tab and tick the checkbox - 'Connect via HTTP' and try connecting again.
    That might work.

19. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

sayy jmann i'm liking that theme. what is it?

20. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

No theme. I just made it have a borderless window in the settings and tweaked the colors and opacity. Just play around with it until it looks cool. :)

21. jojobrain macrumors newbie

hi mrchinchilla, thanks! it connected! however, i would still like to get to the bottom of the reason the MAc MSN Messenger is not workking...cheers

22. tweeg macrumors member

Im always having some annoying bugs in MSN, like it hardly every updates/shows my buddys display pictures, is that just me or ? :confused:

23. sinar macrumors regular

Thank you so much for this, i've been having a problem with microsoft messenger, and after some googling I came upon this page, your solution works perfectly

Julie

24. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Did you install if of MS's website or did it come with the Word 2008 bundle?