Microsoft Mobile Bluetooth Keyboard 6000

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by cito, Apr 18, 2010.

1. cito macrumors newbie

I purchased the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 from Staples to go along with my IPad 32GB. The keyboard is compact and easy to type on (using now). It comes with a separate keypad which would be nice to use with the Numbers app, but there lies the problem. It seems that you can only pair one item to the IPad at a time. I like the keyboard set for it's compact size just for the same reason for the Ipad. Funny that a Microsoft keyboard complements the IPad better than the Apple keyboard.

I tried the keypad separately and it works great. I only tried it on the Pages app so I don't know if it will scroll done using the enter key but the enter key would not go down a line on Pages.

I would like to see if my Magic Mouse with this setup but already know the answer to that (plus the Apple crew told me it would not work).

Another interesting thing is once you pair this keyboard up the pop up one will not come up. Why would you want to if you are already typing on the bluetooth keyboard you may ask but I found out when picking it up to show something to another and then trying to type while it was in my hand nothing comes up. I would have to close this page-go to setting and unpair the keyboard.

shortcut keys like Ctrl C and Ctrl V do not work. The volume keys do.

Overall happy, maybe they'll make some improvements to allow shortcut key commands and more than one device. ( I wonder if bluetooth headset will work for Skype?)

2. tangentii macrumors newbie

Microsoft Mobile Bluetooth Keyboard 6000 connection lost

I have the same issue regarding the "connection lost" happening every 10 minutes and it's irritating. I spent a while searching but couldn't find a solution. Now whenever i see the connection lost setting, i hit the spacebar and wait a few seconds until it re-establishes a connection.

3. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Why would you get the Microsoft keyboard if you could get the Apple wireless keyboard at the same price? The Microsoft keyboard looks a whole lot uglier, and I don't see any advantages for it. I would just go with the sleek Apple keyboard to compliment the iPad, its much better combo in my opinion.

4. eTip macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am not getting why you wouldn't get the Apple BT instead. . Particularly if cut & paste etc. don't work. BTW, did you try ALT (not CTRL) C, V, etc. ?

5. Jasonf00 macrumors newbie

I have same setup/issue

I just picked up this keyboard from Office Max today and already like it.

To answer a couple of other posts: I got mine for $39 (with an additional 20% off in-store promo sale) so it definitely was NOT the same price as the Apple BT keyboard!

Secondly, "The Microsoft keyboard looks a whole lot uglier..." that is your opinion, personally, I really like the look of the Microsoft model and the shape is very ergonomic.

I am not sure why the iPad will only allow either the keyboard OR number pad to be connected at one time. I checked and I CAN connect my wireless headset and keyboard (or number pad) at the same time so it's not a limitation of the iPad allowing only a single BT connection at a time. There must be some other conflict somewhere but since both parts required different pairing codes, they in theory should be able to work simultaneously.

Also, try just switching off the keyboard's power if you need to use the pop-up iPad keyboard. This would save you some steps instead of going to settings and turning off BT.

I think I would give this keyboard combo a 10 if it would connect both parts at the same time. Oh well, maybe in a later OS upgrade from Apple?

6. amcd macrumors newbie

Copy and Paste

I just picked up this keyboard from best buy; even though it cost more then amazon and it did not include the number pad, to try out the copy and past feature. It does work! Instead of "control c" to copy press the windows button and c. Same with past and cut. Now that I have tested it I think I will return to best buy and order from amazon (save $10 and get an additional product).

7. Aeroflux macrumors member

Careful ordering from Amazon. I just initiated a return as the third-party (Dimyan) repackaged a used keyboard with a power button that is very loose. It appears they already switched vendors but I chose to buy from Adorama instead, who sells it for a buck more.

I' m using this keyboard with an iPhone 4. Also, one difference to note between the two keyboards (apple and ms) is the lack of function key support by ms (F1-F12). This isn't a deal breaker for me as I prefer the sleek matte black keys and curvature of the ms keyboard to the stark aluminum and uniform [sterile] white keys of the apple keyboard. To each his own. BTW I can't see any lag in this keyboard and waking it up from BT sleep is no more than three seconds. Excellent initial impression!

8. Aeroflux, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

Aeroflux macrumors member

Update: Discovered how used the old keyboard was when I received my new keyboard. After a couple weeks I find my hands going to the bluetooth keyboard instead of my standard keyboard at work. It is a bit distracting, but my subconscious has clearly decided which keyboard is better.

I find it dissapointing that the iphone/ipad is unable to connect the numeric keypad and the keyboard at the same time, but I rarely use it.

I also can't help but notice a black hole of attrition where there should be a great voice of support for a JB key-map app. It's disturbing that such a void exists...almost as if a tear in the spacetime-google continuum has occured. Even apple keyboard enthusiasts should be in on this venture. :confused:

Edit: After taking the jump on BTStack (as the demo didn't work) I have found the five bucks well invested. It allows different functions to be mapped to command (windows key) + A-Z keys as well as the Function keys (F1-F12), all via Activator. It's a good start but this won't make scrolling in browser apps any easier, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't allow a custom key for sending txt message either. Yet another reminder that I have Apple to thank for this lovely lack of VERY simple support. Thanks. Apple.

Edit2: ...and you need to reconnect the keyboard through the BTStack app EVERY time the keyboard goes to sleep. You also need to reset the keyboard in order for it to be recognized by BTStack, so in essence the app just forgets the keyboard exists. :rolleyes: Back to the drawing board...

9. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Interesting - same exact thing happened to me. The keyboard was sold by "Genesis Trade USA", fulfilled by Amazon. The keyboard was obviously used. I returned it and went to bestbuy. Typically bestbuy is 2x more than amazon, but it was only a few $ more in this case.

Anyway, great keyboard. I can't believe I went so long without getting one for my iPad/iPhone. It makes it so much easier to actually WORK using a real keyboard.