Microsoft moves into health care

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9928129

Somehow, this doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence. And what's more, Microsoft are potentially opening up themselves to some incredibly serious litigious action if any of it fails.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't trust internet for any permanent information storage. just fragile.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, at least nobody accuse M$ of copying apple this time.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

since when has Microsoft been "Hacker-proof?"

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

nobody is hacker-proof anyway, difficulty shouldn't be an excuse for not trying.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know nobody is.....but we're talking about Microsoft here.....the reason we have viruses

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This bothers me because it directly competes with the company I work for, but ours can only be accessed from within the network.

Putting this on the internet, with free access seems just...dangerous.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Microsoft has been in health care for a long time. They've been making me feel sick for years.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Microsoft is not the reason we have computer viruses; intelligent people with questionable ethics are the reason for that.

Well done sir!:D

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is the future of health care.

One of the biggest problems emergency rooms face is a lack of knowledge about a patient's medical history. A lot of unnecessary and expensive tests could be eliminated if there was a nationwide network like this.

Unfortunately, given the current administration's lack of concern about privacy, the insurance industry's use of medical history to deny insurance and many employers who base their hiring on medical history, it's bad news for the average American.

The only way it will work is if non-medical access of online records is criminalized to a degree that makes it not worthwhile.

Sad that such useful medical technology won't see the light of day until stricter laws are in place.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Had Apple introduced this, this thread would be filled with people touting Jobs discovery of the fountain of youth or similar. Yeah, Microsoft is an easy target but the concept is a good one with many hurdles to overcome. Kudos to them for getting the ball rolling.

13. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It's not just that - employers and insurance companies can just demand access. Considering you can just give them access easily, it will just be added in to the application/proposal that you consent to their unhindered access to your files.
    Criminalising unauthorised access won't be the problem.