Microsoft must be bolder with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wrldwzrd89, Apr 16, 2017.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Microsoft, at this point your DOS legacy is seriously stifling your ability to make Windows stand out. However, you do need to be mindful of backwards compatibility. Fortunately, there's a solution to this problem, right in front of you: Hyper-V based virtualization. You also have technology to seamlessly integrate virtual machines with Windows, which you used for Windows XP mode. So my proposal is to take the time to fix all of Windows' legacy problems: drive letters, no native/default UTF-8 for everything, clean up Win32 API cruft, user interface quirks you always hated but couldn't change, etc. and, as part of the upgrade to the build, shove old applications to the virtual machine invisibly in the background. Of course, Hyper-V's system requirements will pose challenges, so this will need to wait until Windows itself needs the same minimum hardware... but doing this would make me a lot more willing to develop for Windows instead of complaining about its quirks. I think other UNIX developers would be much happier too.

With the legacy stuff frozen, you can finally unleash your creativity as you always imagined!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Legacy support and backward compatibility was the king when using windows series system. Even though putting old stuff into virtual machine is a good idea, the performance degradation highly reduces its value, especially, when you play game in virtual machine.
    Hyper V must be much better in terms of performance to be able to run legacy programs efficiently.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You make a very good point. Performance is the biggest issue holding back this idea.

4. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

To be honest it needs to get its ass in gear with its Windows 10 apps. They're terrible. Most people try to remove them, sadly not everyone knows how to use PowerShell.

Whereas with a Mac you get valuable software: iWork, iLife, Photos and Mail, Contacts, etc etc.

And I'm moving FROM Mac to PC and that's personal experience !

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, Microsoft can and should do way better than they do now with their apps. Many of them are missing basic features we've come to expect. Their intentions are well rooted but the execution is sadly flawed. Part of the problem is, I suspect, an internal culture clash between those who want all touch-first and those who are unable to move to a touch-driven world because of legacy systems. I hope these issues can be resolved by finding common ground.

6. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

This notion of touch needs to phase out quickly. Assuming all windows users want to tolerate touch is as foolish as them assuming they can drop legacy support. Definitely an internal hang up on that one.

Has anyone here ever used a touch laptop or desktop? It's a bloody nightmare. You end up with a sore back and bad posture. It's less efficient than a keyboard and mouse for god sakes!

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yup, but Microsoft seems determined to do it anyway. What they don't realize is that it's a poor fit for a traditional computer, even in the newer 2-in-1 form factor, and it's little wonder these devices aren't selling in great numbers. At least Canonical, the folks behind Ubuntu, figured this out before it became too late... Microsoft could easily run itself into the ground if it doesn't see the error of its strategy soon.

8. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Bill gates himself seems to realise Office and Xbox as microsofts really strong assets. He said in interviews Windows is facing a severely changing industry and needs much focus to succeed.

If he wasn't so high profile im sure he'd have said needs much MORE focus to succeed.

As someone moving from Apple to Microsoft now I'd go to a windows phone - you know - for a consistent ecosystem. But nope, Microsoft decides to pull the plug on it. Bloody annoying!

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Actually there is nothing wrong with touch oriented system for me because I am using one with touch screen and sometimes it works pretty well. Added input method also saves me from a few embarrassing moments in game.
    What is wrong is the inability to notice that cheap computers won't be able to equip touch screen and thus limiting the use of all these. See how windows 8 fell hard.