Microsoft nixes HD DVD drive for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Feb 25, 2008.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Just in case you haven't already heard or assumed...

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9877624-7.html

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Official price for it, while they are still in the channel is now $49.99.

TEG

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

[​IMG]

For $49, might as well go and buy one if you have a 360.

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Funny pic...

and you get the 5 free discs if you buy by the end of the month...

6. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

That's how I feel.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, ty, 'shopped it myself :D

[​IMG]

I am on a roll today.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just so you are aware, the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive actually works on Macs and PCs. A cheap alternative for those MBA owners who don't want to burn discs from their Air.

TEG

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Its a dead format, why put any money in to it? I have a Laserdisc player I can sell you if you like obsolete stuff!

Ed

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

$50 is cheaper than some external DVD players. If someone needs an external drive for the MacBook Air, then why not? Just more loss for Microsoft :)

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

When you put it that way (the loss part) it makes me want to buy one. However I would need proof that its a MS loss before I did it. So find me proof that its a loss and you have yourself one compliments of me.

Ed

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Do you really think they just dropped the price from $180 to $130 to $49 within this short a period of time, plus 5 free movies, with the intention of making a profit? :D

Heck, the five free movies cost more than $50.

13. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm hearing that places are closing out HD DVD movies for cheap. I have yet to find these places.

Best Buy is still selling HD DVD's for their normal near-retail prices. So is Circuit City.

Amazon.com is selling many titles for $13.49, which includes no-tax and free shipping for orders over $25.

If you figure that the movies are worth about $8 each. You get 5 free movies, plus the one included, that's $48. That's $1 for the drive and $1 for the media remote. :eek:

MS on their website has it for retail for $50:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/default.htm

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's $50 on Best Buy's web site as well, they probably haven't updated the in-store systems or price tags.

15. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

I picked one up on the way home for most of those reasons above... and like some have pointed out, its a real cheap external DVD drive for OS X :)

I'm just hoping for the off chance that someone makes it easy to encode HD-DVD to h.264 files for the Apple TV sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Here's to wishful thinking! :)

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I did go on to Amazon's website today and some HD DVD's are $11.49.... :eek:

Slowly dropping the price of them until they're gone.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

One could always take their HD-DVD drive apart an make one of these. :eek:

<]=)

18. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I saw the xbox 360 HD-DVD drive for $35 today at Best Buy, I thought about buying it but I was wondering if it is really worth it or not now?

I already have the xbox remote, and don't have any plans to buy a ps3 or bluray for the moment. I tried to look up any alternate uses for the drive, but the only useful thing that I found out was that it can be hooked up to an EEE pc to play normal dvds on that system.

I was unable to find any hd-dvd's in the store, and online (amazon) it looks like the movies are still selling for $15 to $20 each, so no real fire sale yet for them that I have seen.

Does this drive work out of the box for normal dvds on macs or pc's? I was thinking of using it to save some wear and tear on my macbook's superdrive when I use mac the ripper and other dvd intensive software.

19. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

buy it

If you use your 360 for the sole purpose of playing games - don't buy it.

If you use your 360 to watch movies or play other media, buy it (at $49).

Standard DVDs do look better with it, it's far quieter, and it spares your 360's disc drive any unnecessary wear and tear (for those of us who sometimes fall asleep watching movies and don't turn off the 360 until the next day).

20. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Standard DVDs will not look any different then using the internal drive of the 360.

21. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I went ahead and purchased it to play around with on the xbox 360, mac, and pc.

I suspect that I will use it much more use as a normal dvdrom with the mac/pc than with the xbox, as $35 for a USB dvdrom drive is a good deal. I guess several of the eee PC owners (and some Macbook air owners) have been buying them up to use as a primary dvdrom drive for their machine.

Any movies I get to watch in HD on the xbox is just a bonus feature (now that they won't be making more.) They do look nice vs a normal dvd, to bad sony won the HD war this time.

Thanks for the input on the drive.

(I'm going to send the xbox remote that came with the unit off to a friend, so it will get some use too. ;) )

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm planning on getting one for my upcoming MSI Wind (like an Asus EEE but better, they're just not out yet). Can't wait for either really. Plus a 2nd USB DVD drive will make ripping my DVD collection that bit faster.