Microsoft: No FLASH in Win 8 Tablet Mode ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Sep 15, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

First thing many are finding trying the Windows 8 preview
    is Flash is 'not working' in Metro (tablet) view mode.

What has not been mentioned much is it's not working by design.

MS like Apple has decided to go to a plugin free approach
    for Windows 8 Metro.

Read the comments posted yesterday
    by Steven Sinofsky the Pres of Windows division,
    sounds a lot like Mr. Jobs to me?

Quote:
    For the web to move forward and for consumers to get the most out of touch-first browsing, the Metro style browser in Windows 8 is as HTML5-only as possible, and plug-in free. The experience that plug-ins provide today is not a good match with Metro style browsing and the modern HTML5 web.

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web’s history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

You know, I have disliked MS for a long time. It always just seemed so boring and just plain and terrible. I applaud them for not just copying or doing lazy things for Metro. It looks neat, and is really imaginative. I don't know how good it will be in person, and it doesn't seem terribly user friendly, but at least they are doing something new.

And now this news. Damn that's cool of them. It's really great they aren't just trying to add worthless features, like Android does, in order to compete with Apple. They actually have the balls to say "we don't need this ancient crap either."

I hope Adobe is putting some serious money into developing HTML5 authoring tools.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Finally some bold decisions at MS. Unfortunately many Windows Users want nothing left behind with every new revision. This is understandable for business machines; but let's face it that most business used Win machines don't need updates for anything other than security.

4. flight macrumors regular

The Windows 8 development blog along with the videos made available have done a great deal in changing my mind about Microsoft. After yesterday's 90-minute video about developing for Metro, I'm actually considering a Windows Phone 7 as my next phone. I'll be following this development closely.

5. darngooddesign, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Two things.

1. Have they said they are dropping Silverlight in Metro?
    2. And this is the most important thing, you still have the choice to run a full browser in Windows 8 mode.

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

They said no plugins.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unlike Apple who simply drops technology, Microsoft simply depreciates it. Another reason why businesses choose Microsoft :p

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That can be PR speak for other company's plugins. If they integrate SL into their OS its no longer a plugin, which is a great way of favoring their product without overtly doing so.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

And, if they said "no silverlight" that could be PR speak for "we are going to call silverlight something else." :p

You got a clear answer for your question.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

lol

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The entire start screen is silverlight or HTML... During the BUILD Keynote, they demo'd converting a silverlight app to a native Windows 8 app that sits in the new start screen. Silverlight is still alive and well, just sitting outside of the browser now.

12. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i know, right! it's a damn shame you can't use flash in 10.7 or 10.6...

oh wait.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wrong. Since we are talking software and plugins I'll inform you that when you program on Mac OS for iOS or Mac OS or for whatever, certain methods are labeled as "deprecated", the very thing you said Apple doesn't do. These deprecated features will be around for a while until they are eventually removed.

It appears that Microsoft, instead of labeling these plugins as deprecated, just hacked them off (the thing you accused Apple of doing).

Don't get me wrong though I think its great MS is doing this, it sends a clear message to Adobe that people are sick of flash's issues.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Can some post the picture of Picard for me?

15. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

"Mac OS for iOS" :) I missed that announcement from Apple.

My mother, when given a MacBook, looked at it in disbelief. "Where do they keep the data?" she kept asking, bewildered by the lack of a tower.