Microsoft Office '08 question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildwizard99200, Dec 30, 2007.

1. wildwizard99200 macrumors member

Hello, me again.

I was looking at the special offer thing microsoft was hosting (you know, buy '04 then get '08 for $10 bucks) I noticed you could get either teacher and student version or regular version. The student version doesn't have automator functions and doesn't support server. You can however install it on 3 macs. (right?) The regular version has the automator functions but you can only install it on one computer. I only have my macbook and I was curious as to which one I should get. I don't plan on getting another mac for awhile, but I if I decided to get student and teacher edition I was going to either donate it to the school, or give the codes to some frieds (might save one incase I get another mac.)

I suppose my one questions is, are the automator functions worth it? Do they outweigh the advantages of 3 keys.

Thanks, (sorry for the wordiness)

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Student and teacher edition gives you rights to install on three computers in your household.

If you "give codes to your friends" you would actually be in breach of the license terms.

I don't know the answer to your automator question but I hope the license limitation helps make your decision.

3. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply =). I'm still not too sure on my decision but I may get student and teacher just incase I get a new mac (hey, miracles happen, right ^.-) unless someone can maybe give me some example automator actions.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I don't believe the beta version included the Automator actions, so nobody will be able to answer your question until Office comes out.

However, from Google I discovered that with the included Automator actions:

"with only a few clicks of the mouse, you can batch convert your Word documents to PDF, email your PowerPoint presentations to your colleagues, listen to your Entourage email on your iPod, and more"

Invaluable. Or not.