Microsoft Office 2004 on a Macbook

joshpark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Hello, does anyone else think that the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac OS X runs a little slow on a macbook? I have a macbook 2.16 Ghz with 1 gib of ram and when i type on Microsoft Powerpoint or on Word, it seems a little bit slow. It is slower than Microsoft Office when it is run on windows. Is it just me or does everyone's macbook seem like that?

masterfu

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
OK
Yep, it's gonna run slow till 08, which unfortunately just got delayed... Although, I remember hearing a while back that M$ was going to completely stop developing Office for the Mac. What happened to that? Or did I just not hear that and need to put down the crack pipe?

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
It runs slow on my mini with 1 GB of RAM, but i have heard office 08 is horrible, so it's a tough decision, the slow version, or the bad version? :D

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
It runs slow on my mini with 1 GB of RAM, but i have heard office 08 is horrible, so it's a tough decision, the slow version, or the bad version? :D
Neither and stick with Pages or OpenOffice or something? :p

Though Word runs about as well as it did on my old PC .. not that it's saying much - the machine was old :p

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
And Office 2008 is horrible why?
That's what i heard, i think on these boards, people were saying that it didn't make any sense, and was completely changed. Come to think of it, they might have just been talking about the Vista version being weird, and the Mac version was gonna be better. I really don't remember...:confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's what i heard, i think on these boards, people were saying that it didn't make any sense, and was completely changed. Come to think of it, they might have just been talking about the Vista version being weird, and the Mac version was gonna be better. I really don't remember...:confused:
There is no Vista version of Office 2007.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
There is no Vista version of Office 2007.
There's a windows version of office 2k7. It looks good with Vista, not so much with XP.

Oh, and Office:mac runs faster under Panther on a G4 with 512 megs of ram then it does on a MBP with a gig of ram.. how depressing.

I can not wait for Office:mac '08 either.

masterfu

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
OK
Here's to hoping for an update to iWork this Tuesday so maybe it won't matter how slow Office runs, you can just use Pages :)

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
And then again, booting up a virtual OS just to run Microsoft Office is waste of resources.

Unless you were doing absolutely nothing else, why would you use virtualisation just to run Office. Just go for an alternative on Mac such as OpeOffice, Pages etc.