Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
jimsowden said:
There is a student and teacher version that costs 150, and is a totally different box than the standard. It isn't just a discount. And they don't check ids for it.

What is the difference? If I buy the Student/teacher version what am I not getting? Can someone please fill me in??

the ad for it says...
"Full versions of the leading productivity applications from Microsoft."
Why would anyone buy the reg version for more if it's the same thing?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
The student and teacher version can only be purchased by either students or teachers obviously, so not everyone qualifies for that, also the student and teacher license agreement is that it cannot be used for comercail use, and its not upgradeable like the other versions, you have to buy a new copy every time...

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
Access, what a joke

mcdermd said:
MS needs to hurry up and make a version of Access for mac. It seems like that's the only program that keeps some people I know from switching (have a few small business friends that use access for client DB's). Maybe Office 2005?

For a start, Access uses MDAC which is a core component of the Windows OS so that won't be coming to the Mac ever.

Second, Access is simply the worst database available. I don't care how many people use it, it doesn't make it good.

Third, Access is a single user database. Yes you can have more than one user accessing the same data-file at the same time but it won't be long before your data-file is corrupt. It was designed from the ground up as a simple database solution for people with very simple needs. It only became popular because MS charges so god damn much for its SQL products.

Four, Filemaker 7.0 now well and truly kicks Access's butt as does mySQL, Openbase, Frontbase and any other DB that I can think of that is available for the Mac. The new schema relationship view in Filemaker is what access users are after I suppose.

For your small business friends I suggest they look at Daylite from Marketcircle For client and sales management it can't be beat. You can very easily add custom forms and fields etc and takes hours to set-up instead of months that my friends have spent trying to get an access solution working.

The only people that use Access use it because they don't know any better, I used to be one of those idiots myself.

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
its not upgradeable like the other versions, you have to buy a new copy every time...

Ok thanks... that sucks! I'll just get the upgrade version then.

jeffbistrong

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
NYC, NY
language

Is there any like spanish/english dictionary included in office . . . if not anyone know a good spanish/english dictionary that they sell for mac?

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
¡Sí! ¡Lo tiene!

jeffbistrong said:
Is there any like spanish/english dictionary included in office . . . if not anyone know a good spanish/english dictionary that they sell for mac?

The new M$ Office Suite DOES have a Spanish/English dictionary. It works, pretty well. I constantly write documents, mainly emails, in Spanish and Entourage does a pretty good job. If you <control-click> on a red-underlined word, the app will suggest alternative words. Similarly, if you forget to properly show the accent on particular word, it'll be underlined in red. Pretty cool.

¡Espero que te ayude esto!
¡Cha-cha-cha!

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
Very annoying!!!

Anyone else having problems disabling the "for your privacy protection, the pictures in the this email...disable"-thing?

I *REALLY* hope that M$ hasn't made this a non-user-tweakeable feature of Entourage. It would really bite to have to click on the "Show Pictures" link on every message.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
PowerPoint movies

I just downloaded the trial version to see if there's anything of interest to cause me to buy the Student Version (my daughter's in school, but frankly I'd buy that version anyway, as there's no proof required and I don't run a business).

My primary interest was in PowerPoint to see how it compared to Keynote. As far as the other stuff goes, Office X works fine for me, as I don't use much except Word. Anyway, PowerPoint looks great, has excellent transitions, and seems competitive with Keynote. It doesn't have everything that Keynote has, and isn't as intuitive to use (unless, of course, by "intuitive" you mean "similar to previous Office versions", in which case, yes, it is "intuitive"). However, some of the new features - animations, primarily - are better than Keynote's. Overall, I was starting to get a bit excited. You see, I work at a Windows-based place (only a lucky few don't, I guess), and so I use my Mac at home (duh) and use Office to act as the langua franca. I've been using Keynote's QuickTime export as a "cheat" by making better-than-PowerPoint presentations and viewing them as a movie at work. I was hoping to do the same with PowerPoint 2004, but thinking that maybe it would work better at importing older PowerPoint based stuff that would get recycled as part of newer slides. Anyway, I'd still need to export things as a movie, and here it broke down....

Keynote exports QuickTime movies that are WYSIWYG. Powerpoint 2004 does NOT. Just about any transition or animation that's even vaguely cool does NOT make it into the movie. Boo, hiss.

I'm sure the other cool new features in the other apps are nice. But I don't think I'll be sending them $150.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I've just spent the last week with Office 2004. The experience reminds me of a scene in Amadeus. Mozart has just listened to a new opera by Salieri and when asked for his opinion states something like 'when I hear such music all I can say is "Salieri' -- which, of course, is not really meant to be a compliment.

Well, after a week with Office, all I can say is "Microsoft".

For example, the default view is "Page layout". So, I build a one page document complete with graphics, text boxes, etc. When I switch to "Normal" view the entire document disappears. When I switch back everything is there. Lovely.

When you create a text box you can not rotate the text box. But you can rotate the text. Why? When you change the text box border to 0 points the line still prints -- you have to go into another dialogue box and change it to "no line" -- why?

How many years has Word been on the market? Why does the program still suck?

EDIT: By the way, I know all the work arounds. My point is that the program is completely counterintuitive. Teaching someone Word is like trying to teach your grandparents Japanese. Not easy.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jsw said:
My primary interest was in PowerPoint to see how it compared to Keynote. ... PowerPoint looks great, has excellent transitions, and seems competitive with Keynote. It doesn't have everything that Keynote has, and isn't as intuitive to use (unless, of course, by "intuitive" you mean "similar to previous Office versions", in which case, yes, it is "intuitive"). However, some of the new features - animations, primarily - are better than Keynote's.
Your review is interesting beause you are coming at it from the reverse direction compared to most people. Usually, people check out Keynote to see if, as the relatively new kid on the block, it stacks up to ancient market leader Powerpoint.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Doctor Q said:
Your review is interesting beause you are coming at it from the reverse direction compared to most people. Usually, people check out Keynote to see if, as the relatively new kid on the block, it stacks up to ancient market leader Powerpoint.

Well, I did spend years using PowerPoint (well, not that many presentations, but a long period of time where there wasn't much else to use whwnever I happened to put together slides). I went over to Keynote last year and haven't looked back all that much, although there are still a few features I miss, and few things I'd like to see in Keynote 2.0.

Also, I love T i n a.

uzombie

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2004
WORST ADVERTISEMENT AWARD GOES TO:

Microsoft Office 2004 "inner Suit" voodoo doll banner.

Office 2004 ad is most obnoxious. Ranks up there with "You've Won" Epileptic Seizure Flashing.

Boooo MacRumors for allowing such an ad to be pasted at the header of every forum page.

Boooo.

(no, I am waiting for the professional version before I buy it)

Hey! Who typed that?

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
BUGS IN PP

Just a heads up.... Wait to upgrade if you use PowerPoint!
The quicktime support sucks. Videos skip and lag and the same for flash.. Some say that it's crashing PP all together on them. I have not had that yet but I can not use my .mov files yet. :(

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
Doctor Q said:

KeyNote SUCKS!

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm going to get the Student and Teacher edition. I'm in college, and 140 bucks isn't a bad deal. I've got a preview of it now and I find that Notebook view is great, especially with the audio recording. that works fantastic on my Pismo. :)

Excel is also nice, much prettier than it's windows counterpart (well, as is the rest of the office suite)

won't use entourage though. iCal, Mail, and Address Book are all I need.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
What is this thing I keep hearing about 3 times install limit on new office? Is that true and how does it work. If they only allow the program to be installed 3 times, I WONT even consider paying 100 bucks for it.
Anyone with info on this, please reply....

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
itsa said:
KeyNote SUCKS!

I second that. Anyone who really thinks keynote is more robust than PP needs to get his head checked. keynote doesnt even have decent timers.
Comparing Keynote vs PP is like comparing "Livetype" and "AfterEffects Pro". Powerpoint allows you to build things from scratch almost on a level of being able to complete small programs. Keynote... well keynote looks nicer and seems easier to use but has like 20% options of PP top. PP to me seems like the best presentaion software still. Version incompatibility is a bitch, but I wouldnt even compare it to Keynote.
I have both PP and keynote. keynote(pre-installed) is almost never used.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
Bonnie said:
I like the new Office 2004. The notebook mode will be great for me since I am a student. It seems to be faster than the old Office used to be....but maybe that's just on my computer.

As for the Apple Store...they DO carry the Student and Teacher edition for $149. Typically, however, you can not receive your student discount on software there.

Boys rule and girls drool!

What are YOU doing on here!? did you auction off your software? i want you do to it first so if there are any 'complications' you'll clear the way for me.

He he he he he!! Get yourself a game boy SP so we can go head-to-head! And perhaps one day we'll have the same day off together. Of course, the stars will align and God will smile upon the Earth... but stranger things have happened.

B

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
SiliconAddict said:
Try never. Why do you think they left Access out? For the exact reason you commented on. To neuter Apple in the corp arena.

Rule #1 about Microsoft. They don't do ANYTHING out of the goodness of their hearts. Mac Office is around for one and only one reason. To keep the antitrust vultures off of MS's back. The amount of cash Mac Office brings in is pathetically small compared to Windows/Office for Windows. In fact I'd be interested in seeing if it even covers development costs.
you missed a reason microsoft must supply mac office due to a contract they signed with apple (it also allowed them to copy the mac os)

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
windowsblowsass said:
you missed a reason microsoft must supply mac office due to a contract they signed with apple (it also allowed them to copy the mac os)

The real reason Microsoft Supplies Office for the Mac is........

Most Macs sold wind up with MS Office on it.

$400 a copy times 2 million Macs sold a year is 800 million a year for MS
of which about 700 million is profit

as Bill Gates said," We make more money off every Mac sold than Apple does"

Thats why.....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
macsrus said:
The real reason Microsoft Supplies Office for the Mac is........

Most Macs sold wind up with MS Office on it.

$400 a copy times 2 million Macs sold a year is 800 million a year for MS
of which about 700 million is profit

as Bill Gates said," We make more money off every Mac sold than Apple does"

Thats why.....

Too bad they don't pay back some of that profit in continued support for Internet Explorer.

Don't get me wrong, I love Safari and Firefox. Despite all the recommendations on settings I can not get either to recognize the Washington Post E-Tearsheets website. I dread when the company they went with transitions the site to a higher version of IE.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I just installed Office 2004 for Mac and I must say I am impressed with the software. I find it much improved over Office v.X. I know it is made by Microsoft, but I have to give them a lot of credit. I have never used Entourage, actually never even opened it before and I can tell you I already took Mail, Address Book, and iCal off my Dock. I find it a much better solution being totally integrated. Word is about the same with a few new perks, Excel looks good and I notice several improvements in PowerPoint. I find PowerPoint hard to beat and when you are working in a Windows world (military) I find compatibility excellent. I have never been a Microsoft fan at all, but this is a great piece of software that seems to really work with OSX. It it totally worth the money if you need a good office suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.