Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Microsoft have been dicks and seemingly broken all the links to the Office 2004 updates. The Auto Updater isn't working either. I've contacted Microsoft support and basically, it's too bad. They consider the archival of legacy software unimportant but they sure as hell offered me a copy of Office 2016 that wouldn't even run on my iMac.

So basically, anybody got the installers for these updates? Anybody know where they can be found? I would like enough updates so I can install the Open XML Converter.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Microsoft have been dicks and seemingly broken all the links to the Office 2004 updates. The Auto Updater isn't working either. I've contacted Microsoft support and basically, it's too bad. They consider the archival of legacy software unimportant but they sure as hell offered me a copy of Office 2016 that wouldn't even run on my iMac.
So basically, anybody got the installers for these updates? Anybody know where they can be found? I would like enough updates so I can install the Open XML Converter.
I'm your man! Stored the whole bunch of updates and converter on nearly each and every disc here at home, 'cause I've seen that sh*t coming one day ... Obviously MS sent out a crowd of lunatic lumberjacks to fix their support pages.
I'm gonna sent you a Dropbox-Link via PN (size is about 290MB).
Cheers
[doublepost=1481921004][/doublepost]Arrgh, the updates are not international versions... sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: roadbloc

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Wouldn't surprise me, I recall one of the Slack users having an issue a few months ago. I've got those stashed as well on the NAS.

Office 2011 (Intel only) is still getting auto updates - I got prompted for one earlier today.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hmmm Let me see if I can contact some of my corporate peeps to see if they have that floating around still. May not hear back from them until Monday.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You discovered some updates? I admittedly didn't search the internet for any before posting.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Thank you to those who sent me links!! Huge help! :D I'll be uploading these files to my dropbox and I'll drop a link in when they're uploaded for anyone else who needs them.

Reactions: pochopsp

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Off Topic: it's nice to have Office'08 installed side-by-side to Office'04.
I like '04 more because it's much faster.
But '08 offers a working OneCloud-connection with "MS Document Connection" (took me a long time to get aware of that)

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
I found the archive.org workaround recently when I needed the OpenXML converter...

You tried the link that roadbloc posted above?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Probably Dropbox killing the Public folder. Links across the internet are banjaxed because of that stupid idea. I'll have a look later tonight.
Yeah, that was Dropbox getting pissy about a negligible percentage of people using the Public folder to host websites. Most people using the Public folder used it for the original intended purpose.

When was the last time you visited a website that was hosted off of Dropbox?

The management there has nothing better to do than cut features so they can monetize new 'features' no one uses.

Reactions: appleish19

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Yeah, that was Dropbox getting pissy about a negligible percentage of people using the Public folder to host websites. Most people using the Public folder used it for the original intended purpose.

When was the last time you visited a website that was hosted off of Dropbox?

The management there has nothing better to do than cut features so they can monetize new 'features' no one uses.

They have a stupid policy.
I can't complain about anything happening to their terms and conditions cause I'm not a paying customer and have only a free 8GB account.
But I'd pay for using my small account at a corresponding price, but I do not need a 1TB account that puts me on the drip...
Stupid policy: IMHO 10 people paying 1Buck/100GB/month are more reliable than one user for 10Bucks/1TB/month.
I'd even pay 1$ for my 8GB cause it's so convenient. But beyond fast&easy transfer and storage of a small amount of data (with only a copy stored in the cloud) I do not trust the reliability and transfer-rate of cloud at all, if things might get worse...
Just imagine a "Black-Data-Thursday" - and everyone trying to recover his data off the cloud...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.