Microsoft Office 2008 and File Extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dan73, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

So I was saving MS office documents to my mac, and had to email an assignment to my teacher whom recieved it and couldn't open it because I then noticed I sent it and it had no file extension so I added .docx and sent it to her.

But I was playing around with the same file and remove the .docx extension and sent it to myself and this time it did have the file extension on my Windows computer

Also I have finder to not show file extensions and they still do, I'm a bit confused about all this.

I just want my word files to save as .docx but seeing extensions annoys me so I want them to stay hidden. So right now in MS Office I have to save as filename.docx, find the file in finder and remove the .docx manually. There has to be a way around this, right?

2. Dan73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Played around some more so basically I HAVE to save files as:

filename.docx

But why do they still show up when I have it set to hide extensions in Finder prefs? I can find them on individual files too but going through and hiding them for all my papers and notes will take too long.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

I guess I don't understand why you would want file extensions hidden in the first place? Wouldn't you like to know if a file is a Word document, Excel document, PowerPoint document, or a plain text document?

If someone sends me an email with a file attachment and it has no extension, I'll probably ignore it or delete it for safety sake.

Regards.

4. Dan73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uhm, look at the icon and you clearly see what the extension is

[​IMG]

Thats after I right clicked, get info, and hid the extension manually.

Before I would just manually remove the extension and OS X would still know what to open it with, but when I sent it to my proffesor she couldn't open it because it didn't have an extension and windows didn't know what to do with it.

I dont like having 15 files with .docx or .ppt extensions on them.

I found a automator file that hid all the file extensions for me so I'm happy