Microsoft Office 2008 and iWork 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scholz, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Scholz macrumors newbie

I have just bought my first MacBook Pro and I would like to use both Microsoft Office and iWork, but as I understand it both applications are to be updated shortly.

1. Does anyone know when the upgrades will come?

2. Are there any beta versions out there?

It does not feel right to buy them both now and then "having to" (I guess I do not really have to) upgrade in less than 6 months time.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are no betas available for the public. MS Office is due out in the second half of this year, while we have no date for the next iWork (I guess october). I highly recommend NeoOffice for now :)

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

As a long time Windows Office user, I recently made the swtich to NeoOffice too. It has been great for me.

No way to open Access files, without exporting them from Access first (that I'm aware of), though. Of course, I don't think you can open them with Mac Office either.

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I second (third?) NeoOffice aswell. And for smaller stuff, Google Apps is another alternative.

5. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Agreed.

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

NeoOffice seems kind of slow and clunky too me, and I don't like the changes in Excel syntax and the fact that my favorite Add-in didn't work. It's not unusable, but I prefer Office.

FYI I still use Office v.X. System requirements: Puma (OSX 10.1)!! Works fine though on my CD MBP running Tiger. I thought emulation would turn Office into a slug, but I'm happy to be wrong.

7. john2006wright macrumors regular

with neooffice, can i open, edit and save MS powerpoint, excel and word files from a PC? I'm switching from windows and want to be sure i can carry on working from home. Have to use a PC at work:mad:
    thanks

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, in NeoOffice :)

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I recommend you hold your horses and only buy once the new product has been released.

Until that, I've found there's a pretty good Excel-replacer shareware:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/tables.html

— And because nobody really misses Word & Entourage, that leaves only Keynote / PowerPoint to the waiting game ;)

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Actually, because MS stuff tend to be bloatware, don't expect the new UB office run any faster than the 5-year-old v.X runs via Rosetta. Although they now have the chance of a lifetime, I'm still going to be (very) surprised if they manage to produce something that has more features and runs faster than the predecessor ;)

11. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Isn't that the truth. We can only hope they actually create some software to brag about.

12. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Don't hold your breath; Looks like the new version will have less capabilities of the MS counterpart. They're removing a large part of the back-end scripting too (as per an interview I read with the project manager). The only plus I see is that it will be a Universal Binary.

13. chatoyer macrumors regular

Heh - poor Entourage. I must be the last person on earth who uses it? I actually find it not too bad, although I'm used to Outlook. What I like about it is that it has calendar/tasks/address book/inbox all in one. When I first switched (back) to Mac in Nov 2006, I tried iCal and Mail and couldn't get used to them. Then when I went to look for the Mac version of 'tasks' (or, yet ANOTHER separate program) there wasn't one. Entourage saved me. I don't find it bloated at all - running all the time and I don't think it's ever crashed once on me.

Like I say, last one on earth? :)

14. @home macrumors member

Microsoft Office 2008 and iWork 2008

Hi
    Well now there are two people who use Entourage :) . I have used it since I got my Mac Mini 12 months ago & I love it. Never had a single problem with it.
    Cannot wait for the 'new' version to come out. :) Hope it's got the receipt facility that's incorporated in Outlook.

Mark

15. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

MS OFFICE 2004 is on sale or rebate for students/teachers through early September, so i suspect no new version will be seen until after that time....

October is a good bet.

As for iWork, who can tell? These people at Apple holding up iLife and iWork are frustrating. I suspect both of those in late October with OSX 10.5.