Microsoft Office 2008 and preview icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by downingp, Jan 15, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded to Microsoft Office 2008 today and had a question. When I used Microsoft Office 2004 and saved a powerpoint presentation, instead of seeing the generic powerpoint preview icon, I would get a preview image of my powerpoint presentation. Now in Microsoft Office 2008, I don't get that preview image, I just get the generic powerpoint preview. Am I missing an option or is this feature not in the new Microsoft Office 2008?
    I am, however, still able to see a preview image icon with my Word documents.

Any insight? Thanks.

anybody else notice this?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you tried opening and re-saving the ppt document?

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for responding to my thread.
    Yes, I have opened up the presentation, made changes and resaved the powerpoint. Actually, by resaving the presentation is what causes the preview icon to disappear, leaving the default powerpoint icon.

4. iota2 macrumors newbie

iota2

Yes I have recently upgraded Office 2004 to 2008 and just noticed... It happens if the file has extension of .pps :(

icon preview is fine with .ppt

I am not sure if it is a Finder bug or Office 2008...

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, all of my powerpoints are in the .ppt format. The funny thing is, when I save an old powerpoint with the new Office 2008, it will first do some kind of conversion before it will save. I am not sure what it is converting because I have it set to save as .ppt.

6. iota2 macrumors newbie

iota2

You are right, there is a problem even for .ppt files when you save them with Office 2008 in 2004 format(.ppt).

Finder does not handle properly Office 2008 power point icon previews.:mad:

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I also have this problem, and its a real pain...Leopard has spoiled me...

8. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's good to know I am not the only one having this problem. I have been posting all over the net and people seem to think it's my problem not the software.

9. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Man, the more I read about Office 2008, the more I don't want to upgrade to it when my free upgrade arrives. :(

10. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Office 2008 has some nice features, but I am trying to make the switch to iWorks 08. The problem is, there are some things in Powerpoint I like to do that I am having a hard time figuring out a good way to do in Keynote.

11. iota2 macrumors newbie

iota2

I have raised a bug report no 5696582 at Apple's Developers Site regarding this bug with Finder's new feature of so called "Icon Preview".

Please do the same and refer this bug report no 5696582.

12. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was actually going to ask what the best way to get this bug fixed would be. I will certainly go to Apple's site. I have never submitted a bug report though. Where do I go to get to the developer's site?

13. iota2 macrumors newbie

iota2