Microsoft Office 2008 - Downloading File and Changing Type

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stownsend3, Oct 23, 2008.

1. stownsend3 macrumors member

Office is just downright annoying sometimes. An issue that I've had with Office 2008 is that when I download a presentation or word document, it chances the file type to filename.doc.dot

On my iMac at home (again, running 2008) it doesn't add this extension. But, using my MBA it DOES show up. Not a huge deal because all the files still work. I just like to use Quick Look, which doesn't work with .doc.dot, .xls.dot, .ppt.dox, etc.

Can someone help me out and tell me why Office does this, and how / if I can turn it off?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I haven't seen this. Maybe its just you.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

When you say that you're downloading a presentation, where are you getting it from? What are you using to download it? After you have downloaded it, but before you open it in Word, does it have the correct extension?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Actually, I have seen this before. When downloading files off of Blackboard. But I haven't seen it in a long time. Most of the time, the files were created in Office 2003 and saved in the .ppt format.

A quick search of Google seems to indicate this occurs when you use Safari. Leopard appends .dot, which is different from a .docx/.doc.

It is supposed to have been fixed. Have you updated Microsoft Office 08?