Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac - help with installation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skipowder2009, Mar 12, 2009.

1. skipowder2009 macrumors newbie

hi there - my Brother purchased Microsoft Office 2008 for mac and gave me one of the licence codes, however - the code that I used to register my copy is apparently being used by someone else and so Microsoft Office has stopped working. I don't know whether I entered it wrong or whether the key he gave me was one of the ones that he had given to someone else...

I've now bought my own Microsoft Office, however - when I attempt to install it, it doesn't ever ask for a new 'product ID' and just proceeds with the install as normal, then later on Office stops working and tells me that I have an invalid product ID.

How can I get it so that I can have a totally fresh start and just use my new copy of Office and enter one of the 3 product keys that come on the CD sleeve?

Many Thanks

2. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

You could try using AppZapper to remove Microsoft Office -- that'll delete all of the extra stuff that gets written to the various Library folders, which is probably where the key is being stored.

I think the trial version of AppZapper gives you 5 'zaps', so you won't need to buy it if you don't want to. It's not a bad application though and it's quite cheap: http://www.appzapper.com/

3. skipowder2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

The easier option (straight from Microsoft Help in Office) is to:

In the Finder, select /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist, and then on the File menu, click Move to Trash.

Select /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist, and then on the File menu, click Move to Trash.
    On the Apple menu, click Restart.

After your computer restarts, open any Office 2008 application.
    The Office Setup Assistant opens.

Accept the software license agreement, and then enter your valid product key.
    The product key is located on the back of the Office 2008 for Mac DVD sleeve or on the back of the Install Guide.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The easiest option is to use the uninstaller that is included with every installation of Office. It has the obscure and counterintuitive name Remove Office.

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I guess that depends on what someone finds easier: deleting a couple of files, rebooting and entering the product key, or reinstalling the entire Office suite along with all of the subsequent updates.

Maybe we have different notions of "easy." :p ;)

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can block Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel/Entourage with Little Snitch to stop them from checking with Microsofts' servers.