Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SgtDuty, Sep 15, 2007.

1. SgtDuty macrumors member

When can we exspect it? And does anyone know if it will come with OneNote?

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

It has been delayed until early 2008 and no way it will include OneNote.
    Excel
    Word
    Powerpoint
    Entourage

That's all you will get. Windows Office will still be light years beyond Mac Office.

3. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

You don't reckon it will come with Publisher? It's gotta have publisher man! Or I'll be stuck for sure - MS 2008 is the last thing keeping me in Windows for work and I need publisher!

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Publisher is hardly the killer app in the Office suite, so no real incentive for Microsoft to port it.

The screenshots from the Alpha build which leaked on the internet only showed Excel, Word and Powerpoint. One would assume that Entourage is being maintained at least. I cannot see Microsoft devoting any more resources to add any more apps to that list, particularly as Apple has brought out Pages.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Publisher is one of the suckier Print Shop competitors out there. Microsoft would never touch that POS for its own publications. You need to learn to use a real layout app.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why not use something like Quark XPress or Adobe InDesign? I'm sure they will be far better than Microsoft Publisher could ever hope to be.

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Why not pages to replace publisher it produces much more professional results.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yep, that is a good option too. It is a darn sight cheaper too.

9. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Which is best for us publishing n00bs?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

InDesign. A very easy to use program (to begin with) that can be as complex as you want to make it as your skills improve.

TEG

11. LMO macrumors member

My understanding is that Excel/Word/Powerpoint 2008 are catching up to the Windows versions. Entourage 2008 is still a mess.

12. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It's going to be released in early 2008. You can see more information on the Mac Office 2007 sneak peek website (that site launched today, and our servers are being pounded, so it's still slow right now ... ). We'll be posting more on Mac Mojo (the MacBU team blog) in the upcoming weeks. I just posted something today about the new user interface in Office 2008.

It will not include OneNote. I'd love to know why you'd like OneNote on your Mac. Have you tried out the Notebook Layout View in Word 2004? If you have, how would you compare it? How have you used OneNote, and what applications have you tried on your Mac?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

13. oxeneers macrumors member

Office is good stuff, but I'm pretty much set with iWork '08. It's just a great, cheap suite of really quality user-friendly applications.

The UI in all versions of Mac Office has always been far behind that of iWork.

14. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

From what I can see on the screen shots, the tool bars on Office 2008 are ridiculous. Geez - I really am not looking forward to teaching my fingers all the new locations of basic tools and buttons. I pull my hair out at the roots when forced to work on a friend's PC because all the function buttons on Word (and I suspect other apps) are totally whacked. What's with all those stupid tabs and unnecessary eye-candy s**t?

I am told that 2008 will run MUCH smoother on the MacIntel, so if that's the case I'll certainly want to buy it - BUT is there any chance the darn thing will have an option to have the old look?

15. Neptunian macrumors member

It is true that iWork is great, cheaper compared to Microsoft Office and very easy to use. But 1 thing I don't really like (at this moment) about iWork is Numbers. I love Keynote and Pages. Both are great applications that can do their work perfectly. I don't use Power Point and Words now. But for Numbers, I can hardly draw a nice line graph for my scientific work (i'm a postgraduates). No r-square value and equation for the graph created in Numbers. Apple should do more improvement on the graph function in Numbers if they want Numbers to replace Excel.

Another issue is all the encrypted Excel file cannot be open in Numbers.