Microsoft Office 2008 Won't Install On Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by electrolemon, Aug 29, 2009.

1. electrolemon macrumors newbie

So I installed Snow Leopard last night, and everything's been going smoothly; that is, until I needed to reinstall Microsoft Office 2008. I uninstalled it when it was buggy, as I figured it was a simple issue that could be fixed with a reinstall, but now it refuses to even install.

I can get through the installer, up until the point where it tells me to select the components to install, and then when I click "Install"- nothing happens. Here's a video of exactly what's happening, to better diagnose the problem. Anyone care to help me figure out what's going on?

2. electrolemon thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so now I have Office installed thanks to terminal commands, but whenever I open an application in Office '08, it gives me the dock's "Application Not Responding" message, and I can't use it. Help?

3. Ozzie7876 macrumors newbie

Did you have to install Rosetta to use it? Whenever I installed it, it prompted me to install Rosetta.

4. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Yeah, rosetta's a necessity for '08, and while I rarely use MS Office, I might upgrade to '10 when it comes out simply for that reason. To do this: Pop in the disk, click on optional installs, and it's pretty self explanatory from there. Good luck!

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Hm, I thought Office 2008 was UniversalBinary (=> no Rosetta needed). At least that's what it says on the box...

6. electrolemon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Rosetta, but it does the same thing that Office does, namely greying out the Install button and not allowing me to install it, even though it's only a 1.5mb install.

7. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

I had to install Rosetta. Runs like a charm but I rarely use it. i am addicted to Iwork.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Entourage are, but maybe the installer itself is PPC still.

I had something similiar with "3D Weather Globe" from MacKiev.
    The old installer is PPC code, so I needed Rosetta installed. And as I did NOT install Rosetta during the erase and install procedure, it needed to install itself... which it did! :)

9. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

why do i have a feeling that apple didn't give microsoft a full deck to update their office suite? thats a shame since any mac office suite is a joke anyways. to me your best bet is bootcamp or virtualization, because to me the alternates are not even close.