Microsoft Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildthing1994, May 7, 2007.

1. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

I've notice that Microsoft Office 2004 on the Apple online store is gone, I can't find it. Also in a reseller it was on sale. Does this mean Office 08 is coming soon or is Office on a Mac no more?

2. volvoben macrumors 6502

08 is on the way, i think microsoft's claim is 'second half of 2007', so perhaps october or something. 04 runs alright on intel, but I have to use it for any work projects i do at home (my iwork and neooffice files were completely compatible but they were so anal as to check what program created my files and told me msoffice or nothing), and a snappy word might actually get me to upgrade...if work pays for it.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Still available from the UK store :)

FJ

Attached Files:

4. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I'm not so sure you want Office 2008.

I've had to use Office 2007 recently...and it is easily the worst program I have ever used. They took away anything that was familiar (read: no more 'File' menu...)

When I needed help, I couldn't even find the 'Help' menu! They go from the extreme of having a paper-clip glide across my screen whenever I start typing and suggest that I use a template...to not being able to find help ever.

I kinda wish they'd make a Universal Office 2004 :eek:

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I agree with volvoben, 2004 runs great on Intel Mac's :)

FJ

6. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

04 is running fine for me - I don't think I will be able to justify the upgrade to 08. The only saving grace/possibility for me upgrading is so that I can sell my version of 04 Professional with Virtual PC and an unused version of XP Pro.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds like it fits quite well with Vista. :( But I have optimism for Office 2008 for Mac. 2004 isn't very good IMHO, don't care for its interface.

8. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I personally can't wait for office 08. I find office 04 extremely slow, especially with Powerpoint, and I'm even running a Mac Pro.

9. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I'm on the fence about '08 right now. I agree that Powerpoint can be really slow at times, but for the most part I have no real performance issues with '04. At least nowhere near the headaches I get from trying to use CS1.

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I too cannot wait for 2008 to come out. I was used to using 07 on windows when i got my mac and now i have to revert to 04...icky!

Does anyone know whether they will have something like Publisher with clipart included?
    If not does anyone have any recommendations for something like that?

11. mickeymikey macrumors member

Maybe with 08 Entourage will have true MAPI functionality, on par with Outlook, when connecting to an Exchange server. This is my main gripe with 04, regardless of architecture.

04 is great on my PMG5, but Word and Excel are both a little hesitant on my Intel powered MB, even with 2GB of RAM. However, it is really amazing how well Rosetta works. Sure, it's not idea, but amazing none the less.

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I'd love a universal version of 04. The only reason I use it over iWork is for stuff like Macros. And they're being axed from 08.

13. Ebonweaver macrumors newbie

I wish this was the case. Office is sluggish on the Mac OS compared to Windows, period. You can dual boot a MBP and prove this easily. Powerpoint is the worst, to the tune of large files (300+ slides) not being able to open at all, it just sits and spins trying to open it. Same file pops right up on Windows. I can only hope that Office 2008 fixes these problems, because if it doesn't, or they get worse, Office will be a dead product on the Mac.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As has been mentioned before that is because Office 2004 is running under emulation on your MBP where as it is running natively under Windows. Best to wait until 2008 is released before making a judgement along those lines when at least Office will be running natively on Intel Macs.

15. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I uninstalled 04.. it sucks on my MBP..

Using NeoOffice. Runs great.

Looking forward to Office 08, however. I hope we get a Visio, and Infopath.

16. otis123 macrumors 6502a

04 runs great for me, (just a hunch, but it could be that I use a PowerPC) i wont upgrade till i get a new mac

17. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Yay! There's going to be a new MS office for my new Mac, when it comes. That relieves me.

18. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I think it's gonna come out early 2008 or late 2007 but when it does come out we can expect it to be pretty good.

As for Neo office I dunno I'd rather wait for Open Office to be built with Cocoa.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

FYI: The reason they're axing VBA is because it's very PowerPC-dependant. Making a UA of Office with VBA support, 2004 or 2008, is a huge engineering feat.

I hope that you can run 2004 and 2008 side-by-side on the same system. I'll use 2008 for most things (assuming I can get it from MSDN or HUP) and 2004 when I need VBA.

20. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

What's VBA?

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1EJ Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Visual Basic for Applications

22. Cfour macrumors member

Cfour

Ive used Office 2007 on my laptop and found the new UI a breath of fresh air for Office personally.
    If it looks like that for mac I wouldn't be too unhappy.
    I still rather use Pages though for basic word processing.
    I hope the next iWork (if there is another one) has a spreadsheet program as this is the only reason I have office installed.

Cfour

23. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The latter is definitely not the case. At MWSF 2006, we announced on stage with Steve that we have made another five-year commitment to updating Office:Mac.

If it makes you feel better, I can verify that Office:Mac 2008 has not done away with your menus, toolbars, and the Formatting Palette. I wrote a little bit about our new user experience last October on Mac Mojo (the post is titled of babies and bathwater).

I've got a blog post brewing in the back of my mind about the differences between the user experience of Windows Office and Mac Office and why they're different, but I haven't sat down to write it yet. It'll get posted to Mac Mojo when I do actually write it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.