Microsoft office 2008?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crispymacuser, Jan 5, 2008.

1. crispymacuser macrumors newbie

Im really confused now. I was going to see if the current macbook was going to get a ram/hd update and then i found out microsoft office 2008 is coming out. Everyones going on about lack of macros, but I rarely use excel, so this is no problem for me. Is this the only problem because if so I'll buy it, but i cant decide whether to buy iwork 08 instead. im a student and am 15 and so i transfer files between school and work, so compatibility is a must, as i want this laptop to last me for a long time. Please help

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend iWork, as its really easy and light. It also does everything a student in your position needs. Exporting to PDF keeps everything looking the same, but no editing on the other end. Transferring Word documents with complex layouts both ways with changes at either end won't look quite right though.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Pages in iWork 08 can export as a Word .doc but sometimes when I export documents and email them, they can't be opened and read by the recipient using Word.

So unfortunately I would have to recommend Office .... :(

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This Office 2008 and macro thing has really got me a bit lost and I've been watching what documents I have to open mainly now for work that may give me the prompt about macros. I have yet to see more than a couple of instances when Office 04 tells me that there are macros on the page. I have to ask where because it doesn't make sense. Regardless, it's made me weary of 2008. That said, I think 2008 will be fine for you and you can save an iWork document in the format that can be opened in Office, but it is not the default save setting.

I wouldn't hesistate in buying 2008 if it offers the features you wish. It's also one of those "standards". But I can tell you I had a professor in Grad school who used iWork the entire two years I was there and he never had an issue, but he was also able to use his Mac most of the time. He had to deliver huge power points to students and they were always opened with ease. Of course for me they opened faster because it was like two macs talking to one another. Either way, iWork will also work for you. I think it just comes down to what you think your long term use will be. I'm too dependent on Excel and there are a couple of things in Excel on my Mac I haven't been able to do that I can do on windows but again those weren't show-stoppers.

Also consider picking up Office 2004 cheap instead. That doesn't seem to have some weird macro hooplah and it'll be dirt cheap soon enough.

5. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

I have experienced these issues as well...majority of teachers require .doc to submit papers and I have tried numerous times to email notes to a classmate and she was unable to open and read them

all that aside I have had both and actually found that I like iWork better but have to settle for Office due to the problems stated above

****Don't forget they offer a sweet deal if you buy 2004 you can upgrade to 2008 for just the price of shipping/handling

almost forgot there is a free alternative that I have been using lately called NeoOffice that is pretty good

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

Lack of macros and VB is a horror to me, however I understand.

The only reason I still run Windows is to remote into work, and to use Excel as it was meant to be. I think MS knows this well, and these features are intentionally not included. I would have gladly bought Office 08 Mac for myself , but without macros, I will just remote into my license through work.

In my case, their reserving Excel features for PC lost them a net sale, since I am not going to bother to purchase the PC version for a OS I do not like to use at home.