Microsoft Office 2011: Excel constantly crashes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hulugu, Jan 25, 2012.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have a MacBook Pro 15, running with the 2.5ghz C2D and 4GB of memory, with a new 750GB HD.

Just installed Microsoft Office 2011, but for some reason Microsoft Excel just keeps when opened. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I've tried the usual voodoo.

Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Yes, there will be a few updates.

Unfortunately I have them all and Excel is still the most crash-happy app I have.

The worst part is sifting through the 10 autosaved spreadsheets that open up and trying to work out how many of them need to be resaved in place of my original spreadsheets.

I find it no more stable than any other version of Excel since 2004. And with the scrolling sluggishness and hide-the-tools-ribbon, work generally takes longer in 2011.

4. hakuin macrumors regular

Try hiding the ribbon entirely and using custom toolbars instead. Quite simple to do.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I've done this but unfortunately you can't put everything that I used regularly from the much better formatting pallette into a toolbar. Regularly I have to play hunt the tool. Sometimes they disappear from the middle of the ribbon!