Microsoft Office 2011 - Excel Really Slow!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SuperMacbook, Feb 4, 2015.

1. SuperMacbook, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

SuperMacbook macrumors newbie

So I just recently switched from Windows to Mac, and I've not looked back yet, I love my Mac. I only just bought it - roughly a month ago and I also bought Microsoft Office 2011 since I'm a uni student.

Fast forward a couple of weeks later to now where I'm "attempting" to use Office heavy since I have a thesis to write but Excel especially is so unresponsive! Opening an existing file takes 5 mins, and then even clicking a new cell the whole programme freezes for a good 2/3 minutes. Trying to even write forumlas or draw graphs or anything takes 10 minutes to do one action.

I tried googling the problem and came up with nothing. Got in touch with Apple support via chat and the guy told me to uninstall office and reinstall it again, which I done last night and still it hasn't worked - the problems still there. I spoke to another guy today - and he said its a windows problem? Whatever it is, it's annoying me since I need to write my thesis and waiting 10 minutes to do one action is a pain! Word seems fine however when copying graphs from Excel into Word or Powerpoint, it just freezes for 10 mins. I have no idea what the problem is ?!

EDIT: Forgot to write - I have a late 2014 Macbook pro retina, running yosemite 10.10.2.. and I've checked if everything's updated and it is.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have the same experience. I chalked it up to the general bloat of MS Office for Mac.

3. SuperMacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

BUMP!

Anyone? Issue is still persisting. I've posted a thread on the windows for mac office aswell but still nothing's worked so far :/

4. liya1201 macrumors member

Have you tried to delete all of preference files that belong to Microsoft in Home\Library\Preferences. Sometimes, corrupted preference files can cause problems.

5. 100alta macrumors newbie

Excel hang up

I'm running Office 2011 for Mac on my 2009 iMac 2.8 GHz with i7 running Yosemite 10.10.2. I've had Office installed for over two years with no problems.

All of a sudden when I try to open an Excel file I get a window that says "file name" file format is not valid. The file name shown is usually a .doc file. When I click the OK button, another window opens with a different file name (again, usually a .doc file) and the same message. Click OK and it repeats over and over again. The only way I can get out of this loop is to force quit Excel. I can open all other programs with no problem. I can open an excel file in Numbers with no problem. The only thing I can think is something happened when MS automatic update occurred. Help!