Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac - Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lmatt34, Apr 21, 2012.

1. lmatt34 macrumors newbie

I'll be heading to college this fall and I am pretty convinced that I should buy a Macbook Pro (I am a life-long Windows user). My only concern is that if I use Office for Mac I may have some formatting issues when collaborating with others who use Office for Windows. What has your experience been with the compatibility of Office for Mac 2011 (I know that the compatibility is supposed to be greatly improved from the 2008 version) with Office for Windows?

My other option would be to run Windows 7 with Bootcamp or Parallels and use Office for Windows, although I view this as a last resort.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

chances are there are some but nothing serious.

I think having office + win7 running in BC wouldn't be the end of the world, it might help you stay on task having two operating systems, one for work and one for fun? also do you already have a licence for office on PC?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Even different versions of Office for Windows run into minor compatibility issues. Office 2011 is pretty good though, I haven't run into any issues with simple to intermediate-level formatting between '11 and '10.

4. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am under the impression that it can transfer it from my PC to the BC if it is uninstalled from the PC. Is that correct?

5. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

You can actually install and activate your copy of Office on a 2nd computer by the license agreement, so long as you're not running both copies at the same time.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

yeah that's right, with your copy of office you will have a number of licences and can only legally have it on that number of machines, provided they are in the correct environment (not in a business when its a home licence etc etc)

7. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

I run Office '11 on my MBA in college and have not run into any compatibility issues as of yet. Plus I'd have to say that at least 50% of my University has a Mac, so if there are any minor issues you will definitely not be along.

8. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have Office:Mac 2011 on my Mac and use Office 2010 at work on a Windows PC and have not run into any issues at all.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No issues between 10 & 11 here either but note post #3.