Microsoft Office 2011 format problem

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I have Office 2011 for Mac, which I think is a very decent Office suite, but I have an issue. When I save a document and try and opening it in Office 2003 for Windows (which my college uses), it just won't open. This happens even if I save it in an old .doc format.

Is there any way I can sort this? I'm having to use NeoOffice at the moment and it's utterly horrible, quite frankly.

Thanks!

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Hilo, Hawai'i
I can't solve your problem, but I can tell you that I regularly email .doc files written out from Office 2011, and people with Office 2003 read them with no trouble.

Do you have "Window-friendly attachments" checked? That might have something to do with it.

If nothing else works, you could use Neo Office only as a file converter. I still have a lot of archived Windows WordPerfect files. I open them in Open Office and then immediately save them as .doc files, and work on them in Word.

You could do your work as usual in 2011, save as .docx, then file up Neo Office, bring in the .docx file, and immediately save as .doc. Sure, it's a PTA but using NO to do the conversion should take only a moment and you don't actually have to work in NO.

Comment

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I can't solve your problem, but I can tell you that I regularly email .doc files written out from Office 2011, and people with Office 2003 read them with no trouble.
Really? That's weird. I know it can't be the college computers because the documents won't open properly on my netbook either.

I'm checking for updates now to see if there's some bug fix I missed.

Do you have "Window-friendly attachments" checked? That might have something to do with it.
Where's that option located?

If nothing else works, you could use Neo Office only as a file converter. I still have a lot of archived Windows WordPerfect files. I open them in Open Office and then immediately save them as .doc files, and work on them in Word.

You could do your work as usual in 2011, save as .docx, then file up Neo Office, bring in the .docx file, and immediately save as .doc. Sure, it's a PTA but using NO to do the conversion should take only a moment and you don't actually have to work in NO.
Good idea. I'll see if that works.

Comment

monokakata

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2008
Hilo, Hawai'i
"Windows Friendly" is on the attachment pane for Mac Mail.

I assumed you were talking about emailing .doc files as part of your schoolwork.

Comment

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
If I am not mistaken, Office 2011 for mac as well as Office 2007 and 2010 for windows all use a file format as .docx for Word. Office 2003 for Windows uses .doc format. When you save a document that will be opened in Office 2003 or earlier try save it as .doc instead of the default .docx.

Comment

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
"Windows Friendly" is on the attachment pane for Mac Mail.

I assumed you were talking about emailing .doc files as part of your schoolwork.
I don't use the Apple Mail app.

If I am not mistaken, Office 2011 for mac as well as Office 2007 and 2010 for windows all use a file format as .docx for Word. Office 2003 for Windows uses .doc format. When you save a document that will be opened in Office 2003 or earlier try save it as .doc instead of the default .docx.
I have tried saving in the old .doc format with no joy.

Comment