Microsoft Office 2011 format problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 0dev, Jul 16, 2011.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I have Office 2011 for Mac, which I think is a very decent Office suite, but I have an issue. When I save a document and try and opening it in Office 2003 for Windows (which my college uses), it just won't open. This happens even if I save it in an old .doc format.

Is there any way I can sort this? I'm having to use NeoOffice at the moment and it's utterly horrible, quite frankly.

Thanks!

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I can't solve your problem, but I can tell you that I regularly email .doc files written out from Office 2011, and people with Office 2003 read them with no trouble.

Do you have "Window-friendly attachments" checked? That might have something to do with it.

If nothing else works, you could use Neo Office only as a file converter. I still have a lot of archived Windows WordPerfect files. I open them in Open Office and then immediately save them as .doc files, and work on them in Word.

You could do your work as usual in 2011, save as .docx, then file up Neo Office, bring in the .docx file, and immediately save as .doc. Sure, it's a PTA but using NO to do the conversion should take only a moment and you don't actually have to work in NO.

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Really? That's weird. I know it can't be the college computers because the documents won't open properly on my netbook either.

I'm checking for updates now to see if there's some bug fix I missed.

Where's that option located?

If nothing else works, you could use Neo Office only as a file converter. I still have a lot of archived Windows WordPerfect files. I open them in Open Office and then immediately save them as .doc files, and work on them in Word.

Good idea. I'll see if that works.

4. wordsworth macrumors regular

What about saving it your Word file as an RTF?

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

It would probably screw the formatting of the document up, wouldn't it? I often embed images and such into my work.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

"Windows Friendly" is on the attachment pane for Mac Mail.

I assumed you were talking about emailing .doc files as part of your schoolwork.

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

If I am not mistaken, Office 2011 for mac as well as Office 2007 and 2010 for windows all use a file format as .docx for Word. Office 2003 for Windows uses .doc format. When you save a document that will be opened in Office 2003 or earlier try save it as .doc instead of the default .docx.

8. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I don't use the Apple Mail app.

I have tried saving in the old .doc format with no joy.