Microsoft Office 2011 Installs bunch of Crap

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reymugen, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Reymugen macrumors newbie

So yesterday i installed Microsoft Office 2011 on my macbook air 13. Actually i only need word, excel and powerpoint BUT after the installation i got over 10 different new apps in my applications folder adn in the launchpad!
    afterwards i deleted some of them and now the office apps don't work anymore. So i had to remove everything i installed concerning microsoft.

now today after uni i will try to install it again because i need those office apps. is there maybe a way to NOT install those other useless apps? or where do i know, which apps i can delete?

pls help :)

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What extra do you see? The Mac I'm on now has Office 2011 and I only count 8 total items related to Office on my LaunchPad, I'm pretty sure my other Mac (my personal one) has a similar count.

You realize you can create "folders" in LaunchPad, right? That would allow you to group all the Office-related apps together.

3. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

It's been awhile since I installed it on my Mac, but isn't there a "customize" option you can select so you can pick and choose what gets installed? I just installed Office on a PC the other day and I used this option.

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

There is a very handy script available that automates the Office 2011 removal, you can find it along with instructions here - http://www.officeformachelp.com/2012/12/office-for-mac-2011-remove-office/

When re-installing Office you should have a "customize" button about 4 steps in once you reach the "Installation Type" step. Clicking this customize button will reveal the different packages installed with Office, you can use the disclosure triangles and checkboxes to slim down the installation to your liking. See the attachment for reference. The customize button will appear in the same location as the "Standard Install" button.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

5. Reymugen thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

MS Document Connection, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Word, Messenger, Communicator & Remote Desktop are all ok to uninstall/not install. The other applications (Reminders, Database Utility, etc) in that subfolder should not be uninstalled. These are common applications that the main Office apps rely on.

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Would you expect anything less from Microsoft?

8. phsphoenix macrumors member

The fun part is that almost all of the extras Office 2011 installs are more or less obsolete now anyways. Microsoft should really release a new version of Office for Mac.

9. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

When Office365/Office 2013 was released, Microsoft eluded that Office for Mac would get an update sometime in 2014.

10. phsphoenix macrumors member

At this speed we'll see the iPad Air 13" before we'll see a new version of Office for Mac.

11. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

This.

I was at a seminar not long ago where an MS rep was present. He re-iterated that there is officially no new version of Office being announced for the Mac but he did seem to unofficially indicate a 2014 release without specifically saying so.