@#!#$%^&*!@#$ Microsoft Office 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rwbarna, Apr 2, 2014.

1. rwbarna macrumors newbie

(hope this is the right forum...)
    I just upgraded to my new Mac Pro from my old one, and using Migration Assistant, moved Office over.
    BUT, the activation key didn't come along.
    * If I could find my distribution disks, I could likely enter the key and be good, but I can't found them.
    Does anybody know where the code is stored on the system, so I can go back to my oMP and suck it over?
    Thanks.

p.s., Don't EVEN THINK about going to the MS website to try to get help. Circular page references, with defaults to Windoze products instead of Mac are MS's idea of help.

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry guess again. I found this by following the link you provided...

I think the OP can contact MS about lost key numbers, though. I grew so sick of key numbers, I never install MS software, with the exception of OneNote which is now free.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Yep, OpenOffice is free..

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Actually I prefer LibreOffice to OpenOffice or NeoOffice. I grow sick of key numbers and activation. While iOS and MacOS app stores are much more locked down than getting apps on Windows, I prefer the iOS/OSX experience that abolishes key numbers and activation rituals and includes (mostly) automatic updates. Unfortunately, LibreOffice still didn't get the memo and isn't free in the app store where we could once and for all forget about those pesky "it's time to stop what you're doing and go download an update" dialogs once and for all.

Ironically, OneNote, a Microsoft product IS in the app store and the update cycle should be invisible and transparent. Who woulda thunk MS would beat the open source community at making something painless?

6. porthole2 macrumors member

The code probably will not help you.

Activate the software and and when it fails use the"phone option".

When asked either on line or on the phone about how many copies mention 1.

You'll have to say or input a large group of numbers and then you should get a new 7-8 groups of numbers to enter into the boxes.

That should activate your software

7. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

Re: @#!#$%^&*!@#$

Hi,
    another option is to run the original Office installation on Virtual Box running
    MSWindows.

LibreOffice (at least for me) handles all old and new MS-formats).
    And, if you might hesitate to convert to LibreOffice, with a small learning curve,
    just remember that MSOffice changed a lot over the years:
    "Thou Shall Change With Every Release Yourselves!"
    Your choice.
    ;JOOP!

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am hoping for Mac Office 2014 to use the Mac App store. I don't mind the subscription part.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

When this happened to me with Office 2003 (when I had a PC), MS just gave me a new Key Code. They would probably do the same in this case. That would be my recommendation.

I would also recommend taking a look at Apple's iWork suite. If you are worried about Office compatibility, it can import Office documents and export Office documents. The iOS versions also do that, plus it has iCloud integration.

10. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

11. rwbarna thread starter macrumors newbie

What a bunch of jerks!

My MS Office 2011 is "out of Warranty", so MS wants to charge me $140 to provide a new activation key.

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

There's got to be some kind of miscommunication happening. I've had to get a new key twice, and for the same reason. True, the phone thing was a giant PTA, but in the end it worked.

I really don't think that "warranty" has anything to do with it. No phone support person mentioned that to me, so I'm hoping that you got a clueless support person.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

14. GALENOS macrumors newbie

GALENOS

Dont know how you feel about me saying this but you can find that torrent pretty easily and it works perfect.. Hope this helps

:D:apple:

15. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Hmmm.

You could actually try some of the stuff mentioned on this Microsoft page.

I'd have thought Method 1 would force you to reregister the product, but you never know. More promisingly it (possibly) suggests which files you need to copy from the original Mac to (possibly) get you up and running again.

16. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

the comfort of using pages, numbers etc
    Did I mention for free!

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Pages and Numbers are to Word and Excel as... erm... [insert appropriate anology here]. The Apple products are certainly correctly priced.

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

what about this
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/62947/how-can-i-recover-my-ms-office-2011-product-key

(first response)

of course before doing anything, back up that file, just in case something gets screwed up.

19. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I agree on excel. But let's be honest now, which things were you frequently using in word that aren't available in pages...

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]

Please review the forum rules regarding posting advice on downloading illegal software.

21. onekerato macrumors regular

A couple of features I love in Word, not available in Pages:
    * Document Map sidebar which automatically builds a TOC so you can jump around in the document quickly
    * Outline View, so you can fold away/select sections of the document

22. onekerato macrumors regular

Unlikely that Office will show up on Mac App Store. Office suite includes a lot of tools (such as database repair utility) which are hard to conform to sandboxing requirements; and Microsoft loves to restrict the number of Macs on which you can install Office without having to pay additional fees. Besides, they won't offer it as free apps which means paying 30% cut to Apple is going to pinch a lot.

I think the only reason Microsoft offered Office for iPad for free is that Enterprise customers demanded it after having heavily invested in iPads over last 2-3 years, and the free version is crippled anyway without an Office 365 subscription. It's okay to cripple the iPad version since it's at best a "companion app" to the full Office suite, but you can't pull that stunt with desktop apps.

23. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Um...the latest version of Office for Windows is already free, but you need the 365 subscription to activate it...so yeah, they are already "pulling that stunt" with desktop apps.

Also, the iPad Apps are full feature apps when activated, just like the desktop versions - Excel does pivot tables and everything, for example.