Microsoft Office 201x for iPad???

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by SRLMJ23, May 25, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Do you think Microsoft will ever release a version of Office for the iPad or will they just keep it with OSX? I love the OneNote application for my iPhone but I think it would be great if they released Microsoft Office for iPad.

It would definitely change how I take notes in college (I'm not a huge fan of Pages or Evernote.)

So I guess my question is, do you think they will release it and if so would YOU buy/install it??

2. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Your talking about a company that has had over a decade to create a mobile OS for a tablet and hasn't been able to do it yet. It took M$ a decade to create Office for Mac that was actually the same as the Windows version.

I wouldn't put any hope into them creating an Office suite for the iPad any time soon.

If they did create one though, I would buy it.

4. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm just more curious as to if MS was to launch MS Office for iPad/iPhone, would people buy it?? I know I certainly would for reasons already given.

I just thought more people would comment on this thread.

5. Brigrat macrumors member

did you really wait 1 hour and 19 minutes before giving up on getting a response???? be patient...

6. Brigrat macrumors member

my guess is that they will release something web based via the app store fairly soon. They keep pushing office online...It would't surprise me a bit for them to offer existing office owners with office online accounts an app that utilizes office online.

7. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Well I am currently beta testing Microsoft Office 365 which is a online version of Office so maybe you are right about a web based version of Office for iPad.

I would still prefer actual apps like Word, Power Point, Excel and I think an iPad version of Outlook would be AWESOME!

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that this would be a great product for Microsoft, but their protectiveness of the new Windows Phone 7 platform, and in the future Windows 8 on tablets will probably prevent it being released.

9. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I also think it would be a great product for Microsoft & Apple. Obviously Apple has their suite of office apps but I think that even most Apple people would admit Office for Mac is better than Apple's office suite.

I'm not here to say Microsoft is better than Apple and get into that fight. I own several Apple products and I own several Microsoft products and they co-exist peacefully in this household. So please Mac fanboys, don't comment in this post because so far things are going fine.

10. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

Microsoft will not release an Office for iPad anytime soon, and I doubt they ever will. Here is why:

First of all, Microsoft is not just a straight-up software company like Adobe. Adobe's software is platform-neutral. The only consideration for Adobe should be where the money is. For Adobe, the Mac platform happens to be where the money is so they spend a lot more time on Mac software. For gaming companies, however, the Windows platform happens to be where the money is. That's why most titles aren't even available for Mac.

Microsoft is slightly different. It's a software company, no doubt, but it's more of a platform company. Microsoft develops for its own platform first. Then it develops for other platforms. Mac is the same way. That's why iTunes for Windows is not that great while iTunes for Mac is quite good.

Right now, Microsoft does not have a real presence in the tablet market. Microsoft has plans to enter the tablet market. That was the whole purpose behind porting Windows over to ARM. However, I think Microsoft announced the move so that it could plant seeds of doubt in the minds of prospective tablet buyers, businesses and consumers alike, that there may be a better offering from Microsoft, the company that most people are familiar with.

Office is the best solution for desktop publishing on the market. That's why there is reason to believe that a mobile version of Office would be very good. However, I do not think Microsoft will take away a competitive advantage for its upcoming tablet platform. I think Microsoft Office will come to the iPad and other tablets only after Microsoft releases its tablet OS, and that too if Microsoft ever even decides to release Office for other platforms.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Precisely. There are still no full-featured versions of Office-compatible apps on any platform. A Microsoft tablet-based OS with full Office (or close to full) would be a huge selling point. There is too much at stake in the post-PC device platform wars to give up such an obvious competitive advantage.

12. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

There is already online version of Office freely available.

www.officelive.com

Works on my iPad through Mercury with the User Agent set to I.E 8, but it's not fantatsic to use to be honest. Very hard to input anything, not optimised for iPad use..... to say the least!

13. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Office Live will be dead soon because as I said in a earlier post they are working on Office 365 which is amazing. Office Live is just a temporary thing, it will be gone as soon as Office 365 is available to the masses.

14. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

OfficeLive is not a temporary thing it's essentially an earlier release of Office365, which by the way is not any better as a web application. Saying it's a temporary thing is like saying iPad 2 is tempoprary thing because iPad 3 is available soon. :rolleyes:

Also, Office365 IS already available to the “masses”, it's an open Beta so any tom, dick or SRLMJ23 can sign up for it:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/office365/small-business/beta.aspx

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've criticized Microsoft before for not offering a version of Office for either iOS or Android. But while a lot of the rationale behind this failing is commercial (ie. Microsoft wants people to end up buying a Windows-powered tablets) - I suspect the main reason is technical.

Simply put, most of the major components of the current MS Office Suite are so laden with features and proprietary formats, I think it would be pretty much impossible for them to produce a version that would satisfy users.

Look at Powerpoint: It has the option of using a type of *.avi file for full-motion video. How would Microsoft make that run on an iOS device? Microsoft Excel spreadsheets use a scripting language that recognizes Mouseover events. How do you handle that on ANY touchscreen device? How do you handle Excel spreadsheets with Dynamic Date Exchange links to applications that may not have an iOS or Android version?

Certainly Microsoft could release a "stripped down" version that could read and create simple documents that would be interchangeable with the desktop Windows applications. But it could probably NEVER make a version capable of handling documents that were heavily scripted, or relied on proprietary media formats.

In other words: Microsoft could probably make a version of Word or Excel that handled legacy documents about as good as Apple's Pages and Numbers spreadsheets do. But not a whole lot better.

So why bother?

16. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have to agree with vrDrew on that. Some Office code might even go back 15 or 20 years. It might be very hard to port a fully functional version to different platforms.

17. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Too true.

I think what is essentially being said here is simple. If you want a device for productivity buy a Laptop/Desktop NOT an iPad.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That makes the (somewhat bold) assumption that Productivity = Microsoft Office. The Office suite is certainly the de facto standard in the business world. But I'd argue it isn't necessarily the most productive.

Someone earlier made the comment that "Office is the best solution for desktop publishing on the market."

I'd disagree with that assertion. Because virtually NO professional publication is laid out using the tools in the Word Suite. People will use QuarkXPress or InDesign - and NOT the somewhat kludgy layout tools included with Word, or the "entry level" Microsoft Publisher, which is part of the Office suite. You might find a businessperson using Word or Publisher to lay out a department newsletter - but when it comes to critical documents (sales brochures, the Annual Report) - they'll leave that to the professionals using a "real" desktop publishing application.

I think a lot of Office's downsides are the result of its origins in the early days of PC software for businesses. Because the total business-PC market was relatively small (say ten million per year) Microsoft came up with the idea of making one program that "does it all." So Excel got a programming language and graphing capabilities. And Word got page layout and drawing. And Outlook got everything else....

As a result, however, the programs became almost unworkable. Most Office suite components have features and capabilities that most users have never heard of - let alone mastered. And what's worse, it doesn't even do its "core" functions particularly well.

In today's computer market, where annual sales are approaching half a billion units, the situation is dramatically different. Even the most specialized Application can sell in the thousands or tens of thousands of units. So rather than buy a shrink-wrapped "Jack of All Trades" suite like Word, companies have the choice of buying an "App" that is as-good-as customized for their specific needs.

19. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Um... it does nothing of the sort.

One question for you; Do they make full featured versions of either QuarkXPress or InDesign for iPad?

Now re-read my statement. :D

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

whats wrong with iWork for taking notes?

21. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

No! No! In that order.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Instant gratification generation! :)

I doubt we will see a full version of MS Office. If it does happen it would be nice but I don't see anytime soon. I think they will have you log into the web version before they make a stand alone version.

23. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Possibly but I actually prefer Office 2010 via Parallels or VM. Office 2011 is an improvement over the 2008 but still lacking compared to the Win version.

I'm not really convinced an office suite is that useful on the iPad. I have pages but greatly prefer using a text editor such as Elements or Notesy. That being said I would like to see a OneNote app.

24. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Couldn't the same could be said of Quark and Indesign?