Microsoft Office and final cut workflows with touchbar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by borgusio, Dec 3, 2016.

1. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

After reading the troublesome reviews about the tbMBP I decided to pull back and postpone my purchase until I undestand better if the new TB is the main battery killer and if the TB is useful at all. I may need 4 USB-C ports and that's why I was originally considering just the tb version. It seems that I may make it with two, therefore now I would like to understand if the TB would be useful in my working environment.

My typical business use is word, excel, powerpoint and outlook. Typical things that I do with shortcuts are
    - format text
    - delete word/letter AFTER the cursor
    - take a screenshot
    - show presentation or go full screen
    - select all
    - copy, paste, cut
    I also use the escape button costantly and the volume buttons very often.

The other package where I use a lot of shortcuts is final cut pro, mostly these:
    - trim
    - substitute
    - volume
    - effects
    - render

Did anyone use extensively these applications the last few weeks and can report how the workflow changed/improved/worsened?

Please just answers from people who really use these applications seriously

Thanks a lot in advance

2. chrfr macrumors 603

3. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

4. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

I will give my take on Office. As noted, tb functionality TBD, so we'll see when it comes out. Most of the functions you mention I do by hotkey, not menus (or potentially touchbar). So for me personally, the tb or non discussion is irrelevant since both wouldn't change my workflow. I'm coming from a PC that seems to have had many more hotkeys, still trying to figure them all out with Mac Office. Another example is function keys seemed more useful on PC. I used F2 and F4 in Excel all the time. Since these don't work on Mac the same way, I don't really lose anything with the physical function keys not being there.

5. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for the link! Awesome news.

Maybe if you are a Office 365 subscriber you'll get it soon?

6. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Yes. I should note that the 365 subscribers get constant updates, so tb support will be available immediately upon release. That is not necessarily the case for those with a purchased offline version, who may have to wait for the next full upgrade?