Microsoft office - Color palette ("More fill colors") does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPoodOverZune, Mar 19, 2008.

1. iPoodOverZune macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

Hi,
    I am using MS office 2004 on an Intel Mac. Everything seems to work fine okay. except that I can not use the color palette. For example, in powerpoint, if I draw a rectangle and choose fill colors, and then instead of using the few default colors, I click "More Colors" to define my own color, the custom color palette does not come up. On click, the applications flickers (kind of like screen refreshing) and then nothing happens. What gives?
    Any clue? is there any color profile that needs to be there in /library/color or in application support or somewhere.
    This thing does not work in any office application.
    The office works perfectly fine on my powerbook. I tried figuring out on microsoft forum, but as you would expect, the site is so complex and confounding, I got nothing there.
    please help. any help will be appreciated.

2. iPoodOverZune thread starter macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

No help! Anyone, please if u have any guess that I can work on.

3. iPoodOverZune thread starter macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

CommonCocoalPanels.bundle problem

I guess after some digging thru, i have found something but dont know how to use this information. The problem seems to be with a coreservice - CommonCocoalPanels.bundle
    ------
    3/20/08 12:07:13 AM Microsoft PowerPoint[730] Error loading /System/Library/CoreServices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CommonCocoaPanels:dlopen(/System/Library/CoreServices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CommonCocoaPanels, 262): no suitable image found. Did find: /System/Library/CoreServices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CommonCocoaPanels: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    -----
    3/20/08 12:07:13 AM Microsoft PowerPoint[730] ERROR: SoftLinkingGetFunctionPointerFromBundleInDirectory() bundle - CommonCocoaPanels.bundle function 'CCP__NPickColor' can't be found.
    ------
    as you can see, the commoncocoapanels gives some problem in refering to CCP__NPickColor

However, with this information, I am not sure what I can do. I will try to extract this bundle and reinstall again. However, I am not sure where this CCP__NPickColor is, since the error says it cannot be found.

Any help, folks. I know there are some of u who are well verse in MacOS.

4. iPoodOverZune thread starter macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

Solved It !!

Alright, after a month long trouble of finding a solution on Web, with microsoft support and troubleshooting myself, I finally figured the problem.
    [Edit: microsoft post:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...28-9411-cb43d52004e9&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
    ]

As I posted previously, Console showed problem with CommonCocoalPanels.bundle and reinstalling with Pacifist solved the problem completely.

For anyone who had encountered this problem (for eg, this guy here
    http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office/67668-selecting-custom-colors-mac-os-x.html
    ), here are the steps:

1) Extract, CommonCocoaPanels.bundle from /System/Library/CoreServices of your leopard install disc using Pacifist to your desktop
    2) Go to /System/Library/CoreServices and make a back up copy of CommonCocoalPanels.bundle somewhere and then delete it (you will be asked for administrative privileges)
    3) Drag the new one from desktop to the CoreServices directory
    4) Fire up Terminal and repair permissions as :
    sudo -s
    sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Coreservices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle
    sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Coreservices/CommonCocoaPanels.bundle
    5) and finally repair full permission either in the terminal itself or from disk utility
    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Enjoy the color palette with all its colorful glory!::cool:

Now when I first heard of Pacifist a year ago, I thought what a peace of junk. Never realized it could be that useful. Go get it. It saved me trouble here and also my dictionary problem which never worked using Ctrl + Cmd + D. Figured that dictionaries were not installed or corrupted perhaps. Reinstalled to their appropriate places and it works like charm.

Looking for more dictionaries and a way to install them, here is the source:
    http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_dictd-www.dict.org.php
    and a way to Install dictionaries in Mac OS X
    http://davidtse916.wordpress.com/20...e-built-in-dictionary-application-in-leopard/
    :)