Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Even Apple's iWork is not available for iPhone, why would MS waste resource on making office iPhone compatible?

Most people simply have no use for office on a tiny phone with virtual keyboard.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Even Apple's iWork is not available for iPhone, why would MS waste resource on making office iPhone compatible?

Most people simply have no use for office on a tiny phone with virtual keyboard.

Speculation not fact. Don't Assume. What is the percent of iphone users who own Windows PCs versus Macs?

Edit: Just do a search on these boards for DocsToGo or OpenOffice and you will get a rough idea of how many people think its feasible to edit docs and spreadsheets on the iphone. Just because you have no desire is irrelevant.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Speculation not fact. Don't Assume. What is the percent of iphone users who own Windows PCs versus Macs?

Edit: Just do a search on these boards for DocsToGo or OpenOffice and you will get a rough idea of how many people think its feasible to edit docs and spreadsheets on the iphone. Just because you have no desire is irrelevant.

QFT. One of the biggest complaints about the iPhone is that you can't edit documents. Thankfully, there is 3rd party software, but it would be so much nicer to have something supported by apple.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
thank god MS office doesn't come to the iphone...would be bloated and be a 6GB download :rolleyes:
I'm hoping for mobile apple iwork at some point. Much more intuitive.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

Amen. WinMo came with Office apps for a long time and when they briefly stopped, the user community raised holy hell. I can also say that MS Office apps for WinMo totally blow away anything available for iPhone. The iPhone apps aren't even in the same league. I can't wait to see the laughable hyperbole about this. It should be even better than the crap that went around about cut/copy/paste and MMS. ;)

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
thank god MS office doesn't come to the iphone...would be bloated and be a 6GB download :rolleyes:
I'm hoping for mobile apple iwork at some point. Much more intuitive.

Strange how it would be a 6GB download since every WinMo phone has it built in and they only come with about 250-500MB of space built in. Typical fanboy response though.

I really really doubt Apple would ever do this but it would be a GREAT move by them. We all know that there are many things we can accomplish on the iPhone through 3rd party apps, jailbreaking, etc. However, your typical user does not know how to find out about this stuff. A business person walks into the store and says I want a smartphone that I can check my email and open/edit work documents. Now the iPhone is actually a choice. If Office support was built in, soooo many more business users would jump on board.

Either way, smart move Nokia!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
A business person walks into the store and says I want a smartphone that I can check my email and open/edit work documents. Now the iPhone is actually a choice. If Office support was built in, soooo many more business users would jump on board.

Either way, smart move Nokia!

That's what I was thinking. Blackberry still outsells the iPhone for ONE reason: because businesses purchase them for their employees. Now that the iPhone supports Microsoft Exchange, businesses have embraced it more...but one of the remaining deficiencies to entering the corporate enterprise is lack of support for Microsoft office (which 95+% of businesses use as standard). Google Docs could offer some help, but a native App for MS Word would make a MUCH larger marketing statement.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I downloaded Quickoffice last night. It adds good functionality to the iPhone and editing on the phone is easier than VNCing to the work computer and doing it remotely.

Now if we can just get "Save as PDF" as a quickoffice function :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.