Microsoft Office Documents Editing Coming to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznkid25, Oct 28, 2008.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

http://gizmodo.com/5069995/microsoft-office-documents-editing-coming-to-the-iphone

The developers of Documents to Go—and Microsoft Office documents editor for BlackBerry, Palm, Windows Mobile, and Symbian—are finally bringing it out for the iPhone. This is going to be an interesting one to see, specially since the iPhone doesn't have any copy and paste capabilities, which are crucial for editing documents of any kind, being from Word, Excel o PowerPoint. Dataviz says the application is "Coming Soon"... could this mean they are actually waiting for Apple to implement it or they are just developing it so it works within their own Office editor?

Whatever it happens, this is the list of features supported in Documents to Go:

• View, edit and create native Word, Excel and PowerPoint files and attachments
    • Supports Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
    • Includes support for Microsoft Office Word 2007 & PowerPoint 2007
    • Full featured solution with viewing AND editing functionality
    • Supports file and attachments received via e-mail, Bluetooth® or media card
    • Unique InTact Technology retains original document formatting of edited files
    • Integrated with BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Internet Service for reliable and instant access to e-mail attachments
    • Spell checking for word processing files
    • Advanced character/font formatting
    • Advanced paragraph formatting
    • Insert and delete tables for word processing files
    • Insert and edit auto bullets & numbers in word processing files
    • Sorting in spreadsheets
    • Apply cell formatting in spreadsheets
    • Insert and delete worksheets
    • Insert, duplicate and delete slides in presentations
    • English, French, Italian, German and Spanish versions available

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sweet. Not something I'm dying for, but would LOVE to see!

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

4. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

This feature is on the blackberry bold 9000 so i am guessing it will be on the iPhone via software update v2.4 ;)

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

6. reliantj macrumors 6502

awesome.
    just another thing to brag about when my HTC diamond friend comes along with his crappy windows mobile.

7. Aurial macrumors 6502

I suspect your friend will probably still have one up on you as the above seems to be a general post for the Documents2Go software and not specific to the iPhone. The iPhone version won't support Bluetooth or storage card transfer.

Also, with no way in the Apple mail client how are you going to be able to edit attachments in this, or attach office docs to an email? How are you even going to transfer them between your computer and iPhone as iTunes doesn't let you?

Apple have crippled the iPhone far too much for it to be a serious choice for power users.

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

There are apps in the app store right now that do that. Some of them even allow you to do so wirelessly.

9. reliantj macrumors 6502

honestly we don't go in too far as to use our phones that seriously...

we just go around saying, 'oh my phone can do this and that and that.'
    we don't really care about that stuff too too much. as of now, my iPhone
    is kicking their phones' asses just because of all the 'cool' stuff it can do
    or that they haven't discovered in their phones.

10. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Copy & paste hasn't yet been implemented as an iPhone OS feature, however the are currently apps in the AppStore (e.g. Magicpad) that have their own implementation of copy/paste within the app itself, so I imagine that Dataviz will have something similar in their app.

11. Aurial macrumors 6502

But the problem with these apps is that the iPhone does not allow for a communal 'Documents' area where all apps share their files. You'll find this true of AirSharing et al. Just because you can move a file onto your phone using it, doesn't mean any other app on your phone can have access to it.

Even if you could, without an OS rewrite the iPhone doesn't allow for file associations, so selecting an office file will still load it in the Apple viewer rather than Documents2Go, just as it would with email.

12. Aurial macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reply.

Maybe I'm not reading it right?