Microsoft office files and pdf on itouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikesjo, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mikesjo macrumors regular

My sister needs a pda like device for school that can read microsoft office files (excel, word, ppt) and pdf files. Does the current iPod touch have this ability and if not does the new 2.0 update coming out support it?

Thanks a lot!

2. icecold0913 macrumors member

The current Touch can view PDF files but not Office files. 2.0 will allow it to view all Office and iWork files.

3. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The current firmware supports viewing Microsoft Word and Excel files, as well as viewing PDF files.

The 2.0 Software Update will allow the iPod touch to view Microsoft Powerpoint files.

All the best,
    Austin

4. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

Is 2.0 coming out on the 11th, sooner, or is there no word on when yet? Is the cost the same as the iPhone 2.0 software, $9.99?

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

2.0 is coming out on July 11th, available as a free upgrade to iPhone users, and $9.95 for iPod touch users.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Only in an eMail attachment though. :(

7. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Aww, wasn't aware of that, will 2.0 allow access to MS Office files anywhere?

8. mikesjo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so when 2.0 finally comes out I can view word, excel, ppt documents as pdf files stores on the itouch itself and not just in email?

Currently it can only read pdf files?

9. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

All I know is that it definitely currently recognizes Microsoft Word and Excel files, as well as PDF's, all in e-mail. I know 2.0 is adding Powerpoint support also, but I'm not sure if it's just through eMail attachments, or if it's a system-wide thing.

10. Nickelz92 macrumors member

My question is: Is this functionality only available through the Mail app or can you actually put files on. Now that I think about it, a Powerpoint Reader-like App for 2.0 / App Store for Word would be awesome. But is that already possible? :confused:

11. tymmini macrumors newbie

Are these files on an ipod touch read-only? Or does the new 2.0 software allow it to be read and write?

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1