Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
My sister needs a pda like device for school that can read microsoft office files (excel, word, ppt) and pdf files. Does the current iPod touch have this ability and if not does the new 2.0 update coming out support it?

Thanks a lot!

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
The current Touch can view PDF files but not Office files. 2.0 will allow it to view all Office and iWork files.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The current firmware supports viewing Microsoft Word and Excel files, as well as viewing PDF files.

The 2.0 Software Update will allow the iPod touch to view Microsoft Powerpoint files.

All the best,
Austin

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
The current firmware supports viewing Microsoft Word and Excel files, as well as viewing PDF files.

The 2.0 Software Update will allow the iPod touch to view Microsoft Powerpoint files.

All the best,
Austin

Edit: icecold is incorrect, I know for a fact my above statement is true. He is right, however, that 2.0 will also allow users to view iWork files.

Only in an eMail attachment though. :(

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
Ok so when 2.0 finally comes out I can view word, excel, ppt documents as pdf files stores on the itouch itself and not just in email?

Currently it can only read pdf files?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
All I know is that it definitely currently recognizes Microsoft Word and Excel files, as well as PDF's, all in e-mail. I know 2.0 is adding Powerpoint support also, but I'm not sure if it's just through eMail attachments, or if it's a system-wide thing.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
The current Touch can view PDF files but not Office files. 2.0 will allow it to view all Office and iWork files.

My question is: Is this functionality only available through the Mail app or can you actually put files on. Now that I think about it, a Powerpoint Reader-like App for 2.0 / App Store for Word would be awesome. But is that already possible? :confused:

tymmini

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Are these files on an ipod touch read-only? Or does the new 2.0 software allow it to be read and write?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.